Chapter Five

With my hair still damp, I close my front door behind me. It should dry by the time I get there. I glance again at the address he just texted me and commit it to memory.

I begin my ascension up to the tiny neighborhood I technically get to call home now. I do take my time, since victor didn't specify when he wanted to see me.

When I reach the main part of the neighborhood, I'm struck with how quiet it is compared to yesterday. Everybody's inside except for one woman, picking random things from her vegetable garden. She smiles as soon as she sees me and waves.

I don't want to make a habit of being rude to old women, so I wave back. She gesture for me to come over to her.

"Damon, was it?" She asks.

"Yes ma'm. How do you know my name?" I raise an eyebrow. I haven't spoke to her once and I've been here less than forty eight hours.

"Word travels fast. We haven't had someone new move in in six years. We're all having a community dinner at the landlord's house. You should join us." She continues as she picks a tomato.

She reminds me so much of my own grandmother, in the way she talks and everything. I wish I could find it in me to say yes.

"Oh I'd love to but I have a job interview." Not technically a lie.

"Can you reschedule it?"

"No Ma'm, I'm afraid not. Sorry-" I start.

"Oh it's fine. Another time maybe?"

"Sure."

I don't tell her it's because I'm antisocial, because I simply don't like people anymore. I've seen the worst of the worst up close, while they were doing the worst things possible. Masking my true emotions then was the hardest.

I finally get to turn away without being rude. She doesn't seem to mind, at least- or maybe she's just too nice. I know in some cultures rejecting an invitation or food is considered rude.

I walk the same path as when I first arrived. This time, it somehow feels more empty, more peaceful. At the cleared area where my taxi driver parked, there is nothing.

Fuck. I'm gonna have to call an Uber and pray that it actually shows up.

I plop down near the sign, scrolling through my apps until I find it, and click on the icon. The available driver looks nice enough, but he's gonna take twenty minutes to get here, so I decide to get comfortable.

I lean against the sign and find a random ebook to read. It's been so long, and they've evolved so much that they're confusing to me. I've barely gotten two pages in before the blue van arrives.

I slide into the backseat with a simple "Hello."

He's not very talkative, and I'm okay with it because of how nervous I am.

"So-" I say about ten minutes in, after I've had a chance to steady my heart rate. "You been doing this for a-"

  "Nah. You look exactly Likes James García." He interrupts me. "Really, it's almost creepy."

  "Well..... I get that a lot." I say again. I get the feeling that it won't be the last time. "We're not related at all. Just a doppelgänger, I guess."

  "Oh god-" he laughs. "I'd probably off myself if I was his doppelgänger. How do you deal with it?"

  "Uhm..." I gulp. "I just try not to think about what I.... What he did."