Chapter 9: Koala's Return

(Fawn's POV)

(It's been another week since the sunken ship incident)

          My face fell slightly when the ship came to a stop and I slowly exited what was soon to be my room, wringing out my hands nervously. The island we were stopped at was beautiful, with lots of land and very large cacti taller than buildings scattered all over the place. Koala already has a small backpack with her things and is being lead to the ramp by Fisher Tiger. She pauses as he walks down, confused a little. 

       "Koala, get off the ship. This is your home island," Tiger said. Her face broke out into a large smile. "Where is your home village?" 

       "Huh?" I smiled and went over to take her hand. Tiger gave a reassuring smile, too. 

       "I'll walk you to the entrance of the village," he told her. 

        "Hai!" She ran so fast down the ramp, her hand slipped out of mine. I giggled and walked after her. Some of the Sun Pirates were in tears. 

         "Don't go, Koala! Come with us!"

         "You're a good girl, even though you're human!"

         "Stop crying, you guys." Once Koala got on the grassy plains of the island, she turned back to the ship and began waving to the crew. 

          "I'll tell everyone in the village that there are so many good fishmen! Arigato, mina!! Sayonara!!" The fishmen cheered and waved back to her enthusiastically.

        "Oi! Take care of yourself!" Hachi shouted. Koala only gave a bright smile in return. After saying one last goodbye, myself, Koala, and Fisher Tiger began walking in the direction of the village. Or at least, I think it was the direction. I was following Tiger. No one was saying anything, which I was fine with, but a little while into the journey, I was surprised when Koala suddenly took hold of Tiger's hand. He stopped and gave her a confused look. She smiled. Tiger sighed and put a hand on her head, pushing her away. She didn't give up, though, because she only ran to take hold of his long coat. He tried to push her away again, but she kept a firm hold, so Tiger just gave up and let her hold on. I smiled a little. Koala held out her free hand to me and I took it without hesitation. I glanced up at Tiger, who had a shameful look on his face. I didn't blame him, though. I knew he still wasn't completely accepting of humans. But, instead of asking, I gave Koala's hand a squeeze and we kept walking. 

(3rd Person POV)

          Back at the ship, Arlong decided it was time to voice his opinion about Koala and her future. 

         "I'm sure she'll grow up into a mean-spirited human like the others," he said with a smirk. Macro growled. 

        "What did you just say?!" He looked ready to throw punches, but Jinbe held out his hand in between them. "Huh...Jinbe?" The whale shark fishman glared at his crewmate. How could someone who had fallen in love with a human be so hostile towards the others?

        "Arlong...you bastard." Arlong only held his smirk.

        "Brother Jinbe...you've changed a lot in the past three years." Jinbe's glare hardened.

        "Nani?"

        "Think about it. What's the point in her telling people that fishmen are nice? It's like Otohime's speeches---Her voice will just ring hollow." The other fishmen remained silent at his words. Even though Koala and Fawn had made a lasting impression on them...they had to admit that Arlong was right. These were two girls out of hundreds of millions of humans. How could they convince everyone?