1 | One Mistake

[September 2013]

"Choose your last words wisely."

His voice was as cold as ice. The tip of the gun was aimed dangerously close to my head. 

My lips trembled at the sight of him, he was different now. We were different now. His eyes held no emotions and even seemed devoid of life unlike his past self that still had emotions intact.

I lifted my head, barely even able to choke out the words.

"I love you."

There was no response. The only thing I could hear was the sound of my heart breaking in half as he looked at me like I was just a thing. A mere thing that he can destroy any moment.

"...That's why I have to dispose of you. I can't afford any weaknesses and you...are my weakness."

His hands traveled dangerously to my cheeks, gently caressing them. The touch that I used to cherish so deeply was now sending chills down to my spine.

"Yuki..." His hoarse voice called out my name. "It is not love you feel for me..." 

I averted my eyes against his, not able to reply to his words. His hand grabbed my chin, forcefully making me meet his eyes. Those empty eyes that feel like black holes.

"You only feel the desire to fix a broken heart and fill an empty shell. You love my potential - the illusion of what I could be in your mind," His voice held so much pain. Like he had been keeping all of this in his heart since the very beginning.

"But I am not a toy to be fixed."

"No," I whispered in between silent sobs as tears spilled down my cheeks, staining my clothes.

"No. I love the broken fragments of your soul..." I smiled at him, a genuine one. "And even if I met my end here, I'll still love y-" 

And her eyes went cold. 

The girl's body fell limp to the ground, unmoving and lifeless. The silent echo, only enhanced by his heart hammering against his chest managed to be heard over the heavy downpour. 

As if even the sky was crying for the loss of his love, of his only source of warmth. 

"I know."

A loud bang, and a whisper. "So do I."

His hands trembled, and yet he couldn't feel his own emotions. The sky was the one crying for him because he couldn't cry himself.

The boy was lonely again.

He was used to that. He had been alone since the start anyway.

The emptiness in his heart that only the girl could fill was back again. Creeping in, deeper and deeper, pulling him once again in the darkness that he barely even managed to escape.

Sano Manjiro walked away from the scene, with the weight of his greatest love's life.

─────  ─────

[July 2004]

"Hey Chifu! If you're that slow I'll leave you behind!"

I waved my hand, signaling him to speed up. He caught up with me a minute later, clutching his injured leg. I scrunched my face to the view of him being over dramatic over his injuries. It's not like he didn't expect that when he joined that Toman gang.

"You're such a sadist Yuki! You're telling me to hurry up when you know full well I can't walk with my injuries!" He sighed, visibly annoyed with me.

I slowed my pace down, matching my footsteps with his. "Okay and? How is that my fault? It's because you fight everyday with that gang of yours," I huffed in annoyance.