Chapter Twenty-Four: Adults Living The Teenage Dream

"You have six months to think because when I come back, I'm going to marry you,"

The words that leave Asta's lips are so shocking to Noelle. It's even more shocking that he said this not only in front of Yuno but also in front of his other squad members such as Luck and Magna, who cheer oddly loud for something as embarrassing as this.

"I thought you were just joking..." she lingers.

"I know I tease you sometimes but you're not a joke to me. You never are,"

Those words alone have her even more red in the face. She pushes him aside while looking the other way. "Just leave already!" she says. Giddy, that's how she felt. Like the same schoolgirl, she used to be with butterflies in her stomach. That's how he made her feel. Was it possible to feel so young? She guessed only Asta was capable of making her feel this way.

Asta doesn't take pushing him aside as offensive. In fact, it makes him smile a little. Nothing had changed. And nothing was going to change. All they needed was time apart to think about themselves and their future. He wraps his arms around her, pulling her close. Noelle embraces the hug, and shortly she places her arms around him.

"Don't do anything reckless," she reminds him. She knew he wouldn't listen. Reckless was his middle name. It still felt good to remind him though. These were words of advice she hoped he'd listen to.

"I won't...or at least I won't try too," even Asta himself knew that was impossible.

"I know," Noelle begins, swallowing the unknown lump in her throat. The awkwardness of what she was about to willingly say. "I know we're supposed to be waiting but, but...I love you, Asta," she says. She couldn't help it. He meant the world to her. If something happened to him and he never got to hear those words she would hate herself.

"I love you too, Noelle," he responds. And he means it.

"I'll see you in six months," Noelle says, hopefulness in her voice.

"See you in six months," Asta responds.

And they pull apart, their hug ending. Suddenly it's cold for them both, and more than anything, they want to run to each other, stay with each other, but this was real life. And they needed time apart anyways. It was only common and natural.

Month 1

"How are you doing, Noelle?" Charlotte questions.

She seemed to ask her this question in each of her therapy sessions, which she was now taking for two days every week. These days were typically Monday and Friday. Charlotte did make it clear that she could come to see her, call, or text whenever she wanted which Noelle only did if it was an emergency. This woman was a mom and a wife, she didn't want to intrude past what she was paying her.

Still, this same question seemed to surprise her every time. Honestly, it became more and more surprising as time went on. Why did such a question, which was asked twice a week, pose such a threat to her? It was just a question, simply about her emotion and about the way she was feeling. It was about herself. What person didn't know how they were feeling? Well, Noelle Silva didn't.

Every day changed for her. Some days she was the happiest she could ever be. She would smile, actually, she wouldn't stop smiling. She would beam with this brightest and be the lightest person in the room. She'd laugh, she'd joke, she'd just be happy. Other days though, she was the worst. Sometimes she wouldn't leave her bed, not for food nor water. She'd just sit alone, by herself. It was laziness, it was just her feeling down.

Other days also included sadness. Feeling down and depressed and utterly worthless. Feeling like talking to Asta didn't help. That what happened still happened. She'd cry, a lot. And then...those sad tears would turn into happy ones...why? Because she was just so thankful. For still being alive, for being physically healthy, for still having a job and money in her pocket, for having friends and family, for having Asta, all of that was good things inside of her life.