Part 8

Sunday is always a lazy day for me and dad. When we’d spend the weekend together, back home, we would spend Saturday either together or with friends; well, I’d spend it with friends and dad would be with Dumbledore or the Malfoys…dad doesn’t really have friends. Sundays, however, were set aside to laze around at home; I’d spend it in my bedroom or, if I was feeling particularly sociable, I’d sit down in the living room with dad and read whatever book had taken my fancy at the time whilst he read his. Of course, our time together was mostly spent in silence but that’s how we both liked it. Sometimes, we spent our time in the hidden basement creating potions but those times were usually saved for Saturday evenings.

This hasn’t changed now that I’m at Hogwarts. I still endeavour to spend the entire day in my pyjamas and that includes mealtimes.

I spent the morning lounging in front of the fire in my red beanie hat and pyjamas, playing Wizard Chess with Fred; it was a lot let tense than playing with Ron because, at some point during the game, the board would usually get upturned out of frustration and then we’d spend the next hour or so hunting down the pieces. Fred, however, was a lot more relaxed and didn’t actually care that he lost every single game.

“I win!” I yelled when I checked his king for the fifth time in a row.

Fred’s reaction surprised me. He stood up, staring at me with a fixed look on his face, before moving slowly around the table toward me.

“What are you doing?” I asked suspiciously, watching him stalk ever closer. “Fred?” At the last minute he lunged at me and threw me over his shoulder. “Fred Weasley” I squealed “you put me down this instant or I swear I will fart on you!”

In response Fred cracked up; he was laughing so hard that, after a moment or two, he accidentally dropped me and I headed, face first, toward the floor. I managed to put my arms out in time to save my face, taking the impact through my hands before coming to rest on my stomach; rolled over and glared at him but, much to my surprise, I began to laugh as well.

“I’m sorry!” He snorted, crashing down beside me and putting a hand on my arm “I didn’t mean to drop you, you just caught me by surprise! Are you ok?”

“Fine” I choked, swiping tears from my eyes just in time to see Harry, Ron and Hermione amble over to us. Ron and Harry looked irritated whereas Hermione looked rather smug. “S’up?” I asked, trying to calm myself down as I crawled back in the chair and, once Fred had sat beside me, stretched my legs out over his lap.

“Got our detentions” Ron grunted “McGonagall has scheduled them for next Saturday evening and she’s making me clean the trophies in the trophy room.”

“Don’t complain” Harry told him, looking darkly at him “I’d swap with you any time!”

“What do you have to do?” I asked.

He stared at me for a moment or two before answering. “Helping Lockhart with his fan mail” he grimaced.

I burst out laughing. I couldn’t help it; McGonagall knew exactly how to punish the students in her house and she knew that Harry hated Lockhart.