Chapter 6- Lumiose City

The next morning we woke up and went straight to the airport. We figured that just eating a quick breakfast so that maybe we could do something in Kalos when we got there would be a good idea. As usual I watched TV on the way. I noticed a lot of parallels between myself of now and of Cynthia when we battled. 2 time defending champion going for a 3rd, up against a hungry and aggressive young battler. My strategy for this time would probably depend a lot on what terrain they battled on in Kalos. "Sun? Thinking about the battle?" Lillie asked as she sat next to me, "Hm? Yeah. Not much to think yet, but I'd really like to go out on top." She peered deep in to my eyes as she said, "Yeah. I can tell there's something deeper bothering you though, I know you too well. You look...troubled...you're not still thinking about being an outdated trainer are you." I shrugged and sighed. She said it herself, she knows me all to well, "...I can't lie to you Lil. That's it. I just...I know how far I've gotten, and I know how my team feels about me and vice versa...but something about my battle with Leaf is still bothering me." Lillie nodded understandingly, "You know Sun, no one's perfect. You might have gotten beat to a few moves but that doesn't mean anything but you had an off day." I leaned back in my chair and looked at the ceiling of the plane, "I want to think that. I just don't know if that will come back to haunt me after I'm retired. If I do manage to go out on top...people are going to want to bring me back out to validate their own championship by beating me." Lillie shrugged, "Doesn't matter. They can think what they want, you know who you are. All you did your whole career was win against whoever was thrown up against you. I think no matter what that's something to be proud of." Lillie always knew what to say to me. She meant every word she said. I hugged her. "I don't deserve you Lil. Thank you." She stroked my hair comfortingly while Elio was sleeping soundly in the seat next to her.

We landed later, but Lillie was really jet lagged, as happens to her sometimes. We just went to our hotel which had a wonderful view of Prism Tower in the center of the city. I sat on the black couch in the living room with Elio and watched a movie with him while Lillie was sleeping. This was probably the nicest hotel I had ever been in, and that's saying something. Midway through the movie Elio asked me, "Dad...what do you think you'd do if you don't win?" I shifted slightly, "I don't know. I think I'd be alright. It's not always about winning, as long as I'm out there and do my absolute best...I think I could leave satisfied." Elio looked me over and seemed satisfied with that answer and turned back to the movie. The legacy I had always wanted...just the fact that I was able to go out and get it soon was mind blowing. I realized that if I lose, I still have my family. And that's all that matters.

Lillie woke me up the next morning, which was uncharacteristic of her. "Sun! Ready to explore Lumiose?" I shook myself awake, "Yeah definitely, where do you want to go?" She apparently had some things in mind and began to list them, "Well I've heard the Lumiose Galettes they're famous for here are wonderful, so I'd like to try those. Not to mention there's a lot of cafes and what not we can stop at. There's also a big pokemon showcase if you want to see that." I laughed, "Wow you really like it here already, let's get to it then." Lillie was dressed in her usual Z-form today as we left with Elio and went to do some of the things she talked about. Along the way I stopped to see a meeting they were having outside Prism Tower with some Gym Leaders and top Kalos trainers. I got to talk to people like Wulfric, Viola, Serena, and Diantha. They all seemed like good people. Elio was able to get an autograph from Serena as well, she was always his favorite trainer from Kalos. We then left to go eat some Lumiose Galettes, and they were just as good if not better than promised. I could tell that Lillie really liked it here, I'll have to take her back sometime under some different circumstances. Hopefully with Stella too next time. We had taken Elio last time when he was the same age, but it was hard to move around so much and keep track of him. We had a good day out today. We arrived back in the hotel room and went back to sleep. Tomorrow I'd check the field out and do the faceoff event before the eventual final the next day.

After a relatively normal morning, I arrived at Lumiose Stadium. Clay was the terrain this time, which was odd, it was hard, somewhat easy to move on, but I think getting hit would hurt a lot more on it. That meant that I should do my best to keep my team out of danger. I brought them out, "This might be our last practice together as a team. I hope you guys have had as great of a time on this journey as I have. You're all the best team I could for. Each and every single one of you deserve the best. I'll do what I can to give you that. Let's win this final." They all made their noises and then began our usual jogging routine. After we finished that I got to strategy training. A lot of what I was doing was focused on feints to bait out heavy counter attacks, which we would be ready to dodge and punish. The only problem is that Brendan has a tendency to push the pressure, I might not be in control of the tempo when we actually get to it. If that's the case I also prepared the team to fight off their back feet. It was important to stay calm and pick apart the aggressor if you can. After we finished there, I went to the same place where they held the meeting of the trainers in front of Prism Tower yesterday.

I stood in my spot waiting for the show to begin. I wondered who would be introducing us to the stage. My question was soon answered when the sound of Professor Sycamore's voice echoed through the plaza. "Good evening ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to the World Championship preshow, I will be your announcer for today, which means it is my pleasure to bring these, the two best trainers in the world to the stage. First I bring to the stage, Hoenn's Champion, the indomitable trainer Brendan!" Brendan jogged up to the stage, he was followed by his team of Sceptile,
Mightyena, Swellow, Gardevoir, Absol and Walrein. Tough bunch, sure there was a lot of reliance on dark type, but he knows how to cover his bases. "And next I bring to the stage...The Man who needs no introduction, the two time reigning and defending World Champion, the first and only Alolan Champion, Sun!" I walked to the stage and clapped my hands as my team of 6 followed. I walked up and met Brendan's gaze. I could see he was as determined as I was my first time, I had to stand my ground though, the title was still mine, and I intended on giving it up on my terms only. We shook hands and then left the stage. I waved to the crowd as I left. Lumiose Stadium could hold 400,000 people, and I think it might be packed to the brim tomorrow. As usual I tended to draw crowds, but they were just as fired up to see Brendan.

I finally got to the hotel. It was a rather fun day, Lillie took Elio out to go sightseeing again today and they hadn't come back yet. I decided that I would just rest for a bit. Before I knew it I had fallen asleep on the couch. Lillie woke me up when she got back, Elio had gone to bed and she had decided to join me on the couch. I woke up to see her and smiled. She was always there when I needed her. I talked to her for a bit about what happened today and she told me all about her day with Elio. There was nothing I enjoyed more than talking to her, we've been married for 9 years now and we were just as close now as we were then. She really is the best. I fell asleep once again, this time with Lillie in my arms.

Author's Note
Bit of a relaxing fluff chapter to cool down the story after some tough battles. Suns going for his 3rd Championship soon. I hope you guys like this so far!