Chapter 9 // I wish you would

———

"I am Byakuya. Nice to meet you, Mrs. Naegi." Byakuya introduced himself bluntly.

"Hello Byakuya." Naegi's mother greeted him. "You're from another school, right? How did you two meet?" Naegi's mother was a sweet lady, but she also liked to know a lot about everyone. "Oh, I am also sorry that Makoto's father couldn't be here. He had some late work to take care of." They all then began to eat. As per usual, Byakuya refused to eat. Naegi would pester him with food until he'd eat it usually, the same event occurring here.

"Still, I'm overjoyed that my little Makoto has got someone special after all this time." Naegi's mother said happily, Naegi nearly spitting out his water he was mid-drinking. "Let me guess—Komaru told you that?" Naegi asked, annoyed. "Yes, actually. She told me a bit about how you visited with this boy." Naegi's mother thought back. "Oh my god..." Naegi groaned.

Naegi proceeded to explain how he wasn't dating Byakuya and how Komaru was just being annoying again.

Honestly, Byakuya felt a bit guilty that he got Naegi into 'trouble'. He wished that he and Naegi were dating even though they'd only known each other for several months, but still... Byakuya knew Naegi probably didn't feel even near the same as to what he felt.

"Oh, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding! Still, you seem like a wonderful young man, Byakuya." Naegi mother apologised.

After dinner, Naegi and Byakuya hung out for a bit longer.

"Heh, I'm sorry... you probably don't want it to be spread around that you're dating me by my sister." Naegi laughed nervously. Byakuya wanted to say something otherwise, but he was too nervous to do so.

"Oh please, such gossip doesn't affect me. I'm too busy with my own problems to deal with such shameful talk of rumours like that." Byakuya rolled his eyes, smirking.

"...I need to leave. I have a busy day tomorrow, Naegi. I can't sit around for such chatter." Byakuya lifted himself up off of Naegi's bed, grabbing his jacket to leave.

"Byakuya, wait." Naegi pinched the lower half of Byakuya's left sleeve, Byakuya stopping in his tracks. "I just wish you could maybe...stay the night." Naegi stammered.

To be honest, Byakuya wished he could stay. He really did. The problem was that he had a really busy day tomorrow and had to be awake at the latest, 4 in the morning.

"It's important. I have to leave." Byakuya answered coldly. That came out colder than Byakuya intended. Why did Byakuya have to be have to act so cold? Byakuya wished he would allow himself to become closer with others sometimes, especially Naegi, but by reflex and 'never associate with commoners', as his Father always lectured, he would always block people out. Byakuya scolded himself as he exited the room, leaving a disappointed Naegi all alone.

"Thank you for having me over, Mrs. Naegi." Byakuya departed. "Come again soon!" Naegi's mother waved Byakuya off happily.

Naegi was annoyed that Byakuya had to leave. Not annoyed at Byakuya, but at whatever his plans were. Of course he knew that he should be prioritized, but it just annoyed him that he couldn't have Byakuya all to himself.

Naegi sighed, falling down onto his back on his bed. Well, he'd see Byakuya on Monday.

Next week concluded their first semester.

———