Chapter 7 // Your birthday

———

Naegi was freaking out.

Byakuya had moved the date up so close.

It wasn't like Naegi minded, though. In fact, he loved it. Everyone would be in class for majority of the hang out with Byakuya, and they also skipped school for them both. Naegi liked to think about the fact someone would skip school for him, especially Byakuya.

Naegi shouldn't think too much about it. It was now Friday, and he had days to prepare for hanging out with the blonde .

He had to get Byakuya some sort of present, though. It was etiquette, since he was the one who originally asked to hang out together.

Maybe he'd make something himself.

———

Naegi ended up making a present. It was kind of cheesy, but he didn't mind. He just hoped Byakuya would like it.

"Hey Byakuya." Naegi met at 6am. It was pretty early to decide to have a date since it was going to go for the rest of the day, but Naegi didn't mind. "You're actually early for once." Byakuya smirked, both of them standing where they usually would. "You're pretty lucky to get to spend such time with me, this was some of the only free time I had." Byakuya crossed his arms, acting all high and mighty like always.

It felt like always... except it didn't.

Byakuya was wearing a suit, a black suit. He wore a green tie with it— some sort of tie, anyway. His shoes were the same as always, and his hair and glasses stayed the same too. Naegi expected no less, but he felt extremely underdressed. Naegi wore a dark green hoodie with a black blazer over it and slacks, along with his usual red sneakers. His hair was as messy as always, too.

"Follow me."

———

"The train is here." Byakuya took a soft grip on Naegi's wrist, dragging him onto the train.

"Where are we going?" Naegi asked nervously, the two sitting next each other on the train. "Somewhere." Byakuya responded. Naegi frowned, honestly a bit confused. He wasn't exactly planning to do much, but Byakuya seemed to have an idea of what he wanted to do.

———

Twenty minutes later, the two were outside of a bakery. "Get anything you want. I don't care." Byakuya said coldly. Naegi decided to buy a pack of bread rolls.

"You're really not getting anything?" Naegi looked up at Byakuya, confused. "I don't need anything." Byakuya crossed his arms.

"Hey—"

Naegi shoved a breadroll in Byakuya's face. "You need to eat something, Byakuya. I don't care if you don't want to." Naegi lectured Byakuya. It was quite hilarious, actually.

"Fine, I'll eat."

———

After a day of going to random places and Naegi spending the least he possibly could, the two were on their way home on the train.

Byakuya had taken Naegi to so many amazing places. It turned out that Byakuya was surprisingly good at arcade games. Throughout the day Naegi had gotten Byakuya to eat small portions of things, and at dinner he ordered one of the most expensive things off of the menu.

The last thing they did was go to the city at night before they left. The city was practically glowing, colourful lights everywhere.

"It's pretty empty at night... well, it is 9pm." Naegi was staring out the window of the train, Byakuya and him sitting side by side. Naegi and Byakuya were both quite happy with the day they had.

"Oh right. How did you get all that money?" Naegi asked. They did spend quite a bit, plus some of the stuff Byakuya got was quite pricey. "It's savings." Byakuya looked over at Naegi. "You spent your savings on me? You shouldn't have done such a gesture..." Naegi looked away, blushing. "Oh, I nearly forgot..." Naegi reached into his pocket.

"I know that it's small, but I tried.." Naegi was blushing even more now. He felt so embarrassed that he had the idea of hanging out, then Byakuya went to all this trouble and all he could given him was a friendship bracelet. "I made it sage green, since I know it's your favourite colour and all.." Naegi felt so stupid sometimes. An awkward silence followed after, Byakuya examining the bracelet.

"'...Thank you." Byakuya said sincerely, a soft smile on his face.

If Naegi could take only one picture of a memory in his whole life, this would be it.

Byakuya rarely truly smiled, and properly without it being somewhat forced. This smile was genuine.

"To be quite honest... today is actually my birthday." Byakuya averted his gaze onto Naegi. "Oh... If I would've known, I would've gotten you a better gift, I'm—" Naegi was cut off in his apologetic rant by Byakuya snickering.

"I like your gift, it's a better gift than anything else you could've gotten me." Byakuya muttered the last part under his breath, Naegi not hearing it.

The train then came to a halt at their stop, the two both getting off. "See you tomorrow, Byakuya." Naegi instinctively hugged the taller boy. Surprisingly, Byakuya didn't seem to mind.

———

"Makoto, why are you home so late?" Komaru sighed. "I had something important to do.." Naegi smiled to himself. "Oh, did little Makoto have a date?" Komaru teased. "It wasn't a date.." Naegi said embarrassed, heading up to his room.

May 5th... Byakuya's birthday.

———