[BONUS] Chapter 18 // Friends are the family you choose

———

"Are you sure you want to do this? You seemed really nervous about it before."
"I think so... you should be at least a bit nervous too, you know!" Makoto and Byakuya had been dating for around half a year now, surprisingly with nobody even noticing. Not even Asahina! The two were now in their senior year, both of them deciding it'd be best to throw party at the park to celebrate their relationship.

"I invited my friends and family, you invited yours... although, what's the deal with your Dad Byakuya?"
"I... don't know. He most likely will not attend, he's not exactly one to support love for love." Byakuya and Makoto were already at the park deciding to set up in advance in case anyone showed up on the earlier side. "It's alright. Friends are the family you choose, right?" Makoto laughed as he leaned up against Byakuya. "Also, are you sure you want to let my friends and family know who you are? Y'know, with all of the Togami heir stuff? That might make them act differently." Makoto nervously started to play with a lock of his hair in his hand, Byakuya looked down at him. "Even if they do, that doesn't bother me. As corny as it sounds, I'm happy as long as I'm with you." Makoto blushed at the sentimentality.

Byakuya squeezed Makoto's hand reassuringly as they waited for guests.

...

As expected, Asahina showed up first. "Hey Naegi-kun, hey Tokami-kun!" Asahina waved over to the two as she walked through the park  gates.

Once Asahina arrived, the rest of their family and friends came over in either groups or by themselves.

"Hey Kirigiri-san, Fujisaki-san. We've only met a few times before." Makoto shook their hands before counting all of their guests one by one. "Everyone's here." Makoto smiled to himself. He'd been waiting for this moment for a long time, excited to be able to tell his family that hs was dating such an amazing guy.

"Hello. Good morning to everyone." Byakuya got everyone's attention, all of the two's close friends and family looking toward the tall blonde. "You can take it from here, if you'd like." Byakuya whispered over to the brunette who awkwardly smiled before looking up at the group of people. "We i-invited you all here today so we could tell you something important." Makoto gulped before speaking. "Byakuya and I are dating."

Clapping and cheers sourced from the crowd, making a large smile appear on Makoto's face. "But we also have something to tell the rest of you who don't know. It's back to you, now." Makoto whispered the last part. Byakuya chuckled before putting back on a semi-cold demeanor. "I am Togami Byakuya, heir to the Togami corporation. For those of you who didn't know, I would prefer if you refrained from treating me differently because of this." A silence came upon the group followed by a few mutters here and there. "Like we mind or care! As long as you two are happy together, we don't care about that kind of crap." Asahina said suddenly, surprising everyone else there aside from Ogami. "It's true." Everyone else nodded in agreement with the two girls, everyone cheering with excitement for the couple.

———

"They all really like you." Makoto smiled after talking to some of the guests for several minutes. "That's good. My guests like you as well, although I only have four."
"Are you counting me as a guest?"
"...Three."

"Heh. Oh, by the way... have you met my Father yet?" Makoto seemed to be a bit nervous. Makoto knew that his sister and Mother liked the tall boy, but he was unsure of what his Father thought of Byakuya. "I talked to him. I think he likes me. Even if he doesn't, don't worry too much. It'll be okay."

"Also, the one who's called 'Celestia Ludenburg' sure is interesting. Apparently she's great at games traditionally know for being gambling games, or something." Makoto looked over at the girl with large drills in her hair who wore clothes that made her look somewhat doll-like. "I'm not that close with her, she just kind of came. I guess we're friends." Byakuya shrugged it off, enjoying being with his boyfriend as they were in a park, gathered with friends and family to celebrate their love.

———

"Your Dad didn't end up showing." Looked up at Byakuya, hoping he wasn't disappointed. He was actually surprised to find Byakuya with a small smile on his face. "I guess it's a bit of a letdown, but at the same time... I'm relieved he didn't show up. I should deal with him alone, not force onto you and everyone else. I'll figure it out, so don't worry." Makoto smiled, hugging Byakuya's left arm. "I love you."
"I love you more." Byakuya kissed Makoto on the forehead.

"Uh— there is something I want to talk to you about." Makoto gulped as he stared downward at the floor. "What's next for us?" Byakuya rose an eyebrow in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"What will we do once we're adults? If your Father doesn't support us, will we have to break up? I know that the Togami family is very powerful..." Makoto sobbed, relaxing once Byakuya wiped the tears from his face and looked at him with a kind gaze.

"I will figure it out, don't worry. The last thing I'll let my Father do is break us up." Byakuya pecked Makoto on the lips, making the brunette flustered. "...Thank you. You really are the best boyfriend anyone could ask for." Makoto hugged Byakuya close.

"The last thing."

Those words comforted Makoto, along with the boy who he had wrapped his arms around.

———