Chapter 6 // That's the date

———

Naegi was halfway through the fourth week of the term now.

He and Byakuya had only known each other for three weeks, yet Naegi already felt so close to him. They already knew quite a bit about each other, but Naegi didn't know anything about Byakuya's family.

Maybe Byakuya didn't want to talk about it. That was fine too, Naegi just wanted to make Byakuya as happy as possible whenever they hang out on train trips.

Lately, they had been talking about their school life.

"Like I've said before, school is no challenge for me. I ace all of my subjects effortlessly." Byakuya boasted, Naegi listening to the boy talk about himself and his successes. Naegi liked to watch how passionate Byakuya could be about specific subjects and things he liked, it was nearly like he gained more energy from talking about himself.

"What about you?" Byakuya asked, Naegi zoning back in. "Huh?" Naegi was surprised. Usually, Byakuya would just ramble on without taking note of other people, but now it was different. "I won't repeat myself. I was asking about your favourite type of cuisine— or in a simpler term... food." Byakuya pinched the bright of his nose with his thumb and index finger.

Byakuya liked French cuisine and anything to do with France. When they talked about history class, Byakuya had mentioned how once he did a project for a European country and got the highest mark in his class by doing his project on France. Along with that Byakuya was fluent in French, being able to perfectly write, speak and translate French into Japanese... Oh, Naegi was lost in thought again.

Oh, sorry. I was lost in thought." Naegi waved it off, thinking for a minute. "I guess anything, but I have always taken a liking to sweet things. Oh, gummies are really good!" Naegi answered. Naegi did like things that were really sweet. Things like ice-pops on a Summer day were Naegi's favourite. Oh, speaking of which, they were approaching Summer break.

Naegi had gotten Byakuya's number and had wanted to plan something in the Summer break if he could, but the chance Byakuya would even accept were extremely slim in themselves.

"Hey, Byakuya... do you think you'd want to go somewhere in the Summer?" Naegi asked nervously. "...Why not earlier?" Byakuya answered.

Naegi was surprised, to say the least. Did Byakuya really want to hang out with him that much? Or maybe he had something on in the Summer and was busy. "Sure, I can do that." Naegi stammered. "Next Tuesday. All day. Meet at this bus station at 6am."

It was so soon. Plus, all day?

Naegi couldn't resist, though. It was probably for a reason, and he couldn't just say no to an opportunity like this. "Why specifically Tuesday?" Naegi blurted out the question. "...You'll find out soon enough." Byakuya said bluntly. "Okay, I'll come."

"That's the date, then."

———