Chapter 12 // Good to see you again, old friend

———

Naegi was happily walking to the train station on time for once, ready and raring to see Byakuya.

The second Naegi looked at Byakuya, it was like a gigantic weight was lifted from him. Naegi had waited all of Summer break to see the tall blonde again, and it was all worth it.

The blonde looked over at the shorter boy in response, seemingly relaxing his once tensed features. "Hello Byakuya. It's nice to see you again." Naegi felt like hugging the taller boy, but he knew that Byakuya would be uncomfortable in him doing so. "The same to you, I guess." Byakuya blushed, embarrassed.

Naegi's gaze was set on Byakuya several moments after Byakuya looked away.

Byakuya looked formal as always. He was also neat. Naegi wondered how Byakuya was always neat when he came to the train station. Maybe he was getting ready for a long time? Naegi could see how Byakuya would spend a long time getting ready in the mornings.

"For how long are you going to stare?" Byakuya looked over at Naegi, the brunette snapping out of his thoughts. "Oh, I was just thinking about how neat you are." Naegi met the taller boy's glare.

Byakuya sighed as he always did. "Do you want me to fix your uniform?" Naegi was very confused. "Huh—"

Byakuya all of a sudden gripped onto Naegi's shirt. Naegi's face heated up, his expression showing his surprise.

Then Byakuya straightened his uniform. First he fixed Naegi's collar, then making his way to his hair. Naegi could feel Byakuya messing around with his hair too, only he was very gentle.

This was out of character for Byakuya. Usually he would be more rough and not care about how someone else felt, but instead Byakuya was softly patting Naegi's hair.

"Perfect." Byakuya whispered to himself, Naegi  barely hearing him. "Anyway, the train is here. Let's go." Byakuya made his way onto the train, Naegi following behind.

———

The train ride was silent between the two. Not many words were exchanged, but it was like a comfortable silence. The most noticeable in exchange of words was when the two said goodbye.

Naegi blushed. Byakuya worried about him so much and he loved it more and more every time.

Naegi passed by a window when entering class, seeing his outfit.

His collar was fixed, his jacket also being straightened a bit. But what surprised Naegi the most was what happened to the rest of him and his uniform.

Aside from those two things, Byakuya didn't change Naegi one bit.

———

Naegi's face flushed. Did Byakuya really think Naegi was perfect the way he was? Well, Byakuya could've been talking about something else being "perfect." It was still nice to think about.

"Hey Naegi-kun, want to hang out after school today?" Asahina walked herself over to the boy sitting near the window. Naegi thought for a moment. He did want to hang out with Asahina, but he wanted to be able to talk to Byakuya over text immediately as he got home. "...Sure."

———

It had been a while since Naegi had hung out with his school friends outside of school. Usually they occasionally saw each other out of school, but often they only ever hung out at breaks and before school.

Naegi and the group of friends were approaching the café Naegi had gone to by himself in the first few days of the Summer break.

Naegi got his usual; a muffin with a hot chocolate. Naegi sat himself down, sighing at he took in the evening air.

It was calming today. Most students were going to the city to hang out with their friends, whilst this group decided to go over to Naegi's quieter part of the city.

Honestly, Naegi didn't mind this. Whilst Naegi did love to hang out with the tall boy, Byakuya had his own life and so did he. It was nice to feel the evening breeze against his skin, as well as taking in the feeling of having such a wonderful group of friends.

"Hey, Naegi-kun! Come with us all, we're going to feed birds!" Asahina yelled out happily to the boy who sat at the table outside the cafe, lost in his thoughts.

Naegi loved Byakuya, but he also loved his friends.

"I'm coming!"

———