Chapter 1: Lucy

Lucy

"Lucy, I've got to tell you something important." my boyfriend said.

"What is it?" I asked looking away from the computer screen giving him my full attention.

"Well we've been dating for the past year, but I've come to realize that I don't have the same feelings that I used to. Also you haven't been around lately. You've been more focused on your restaurant than our relationship. I don't want to be your second choice and I'm tired of you not spending enough time with me. I'm tired of everything." He let everything he's been holding in for who knows how long.

"Okay I understand." I answered not really caring about the issue.

The truth is that I don't really care about him. I was just going out with him to make my mom happy for once, but now I don't have time to have a boyfriend. I know that mom won't like this one bit, but it's time for me to only think about me. I don't want to be distracted, since I need to focus on opening my 3rd restaurant location.

"So it's over." he asked.

"Yes it's over between us. So can you kindly do me the honor of leaving my restaurant. I have lots of work to do before I leave for the night."

"That's it, you're not putting up a fight."

"Why would I? I've lost interest in you a long time ago and I only kept going out with you for my mom. It had nothing to do with you. So now that it's finally over please leave I'm busy."

"Fine. Bye." he said before leaving my office.

Finally I'm free. I don't have to make time for him anymore. Now I could fully focus on the restaurant and my family.

~2 weeks later~

Dread. The feeling of dread every time that I have a family dinner and my mom is always criticizing me for choosing my career over having a husband and becoming a housewife. She'll never understand me for who I am. She thinks that all women are supposed to be at home and serve their husbands. She believes that we can't do two things at once like having a career and a family.

All she ever wanted was for me to get married and have a family. She doesn't support my decision to become a chef. Luckily family dinner isn't every week it's once a month. I don't have to listen to her complains every week, but still it gets on my nerves.

I don't want to be here. I don't want to see my mother even more after what happened two weeks ago. I just know that she'll get on my case for what I've done to her precious plan for me that I don't even care for.

I parked my car in the garage and tried to calm myself down and mentally prepare myself for whats to come during dinner with my family.

I left the garage and headed inside the house. Opening the large oak door revealed a grand stair case, a sparkling chandelier and a table in the middle with a vase with flowers. The house is decorated exactly the way that my mother wanted it. Everything had to be perfect not even one thing can be misplaced.

"Hello, princess," my father said while coming from the direction of his office.

"Hello, dad." I said while giving him a hug.

"How has everything been lately." he asked as he pulled away.

"Great. I'm close to opening up my 3rd restaurant. So I've been really busy." I told him.

"That's great. I'm glad that your dream is coming true." he said really happy for me.

"Well it's all because of you. I wouldn't be able to do it without you, since mom doesn't like the idea of me working for a living."