TWO. double dog dare

HIGH SCHOOL sucked, but Adelaide was always excited for the first day of the year

HIGH SCHOOL sucked, but Adelaide was always excited for the first day of the year. She couldn't tell you why as nothing much had changed within her for her to actually see any difference.

Regardless of her self-proclaimed excitement, she stood by her new locker shuffling new stuff around and digging up whatever mess that was left by the last person.

She soon shut the door of her locker slightly to see Rodrick standing on the other side.

She sent him a small smile before shutting it completely. The two of them following into small steps together.

To every passerby, to the people who knew them, to the people that didn't, it was like they were together. Dating. In cahoots. Whatever.

As the two began a conversation; Daliah approached the two of them and rested her arm over Adelaide's shoulder.

"We have first period together, do you?" Daliah asked.

It was a sign that Daliah was going to drag Adelaide away. She always did and it wasn't much of a shock that she did it because in Rodrick's eyes Daliah hated his guts.

He watched as Adelaide and Daliah ventured off into the heavily crowded halls and vanish within seconds.

"Is little ol' Rodrick missing his girlfriend already?" Ben asked, slapping Rodrick's shoulders.

"She's not my girlfriend."

"But we know you want her to be." Ward laughed.

Rodrick rolled his eyes and headed towards a more secluded area of the school. Though he didn't want to be at school, he stayed long enough to at least see Adelaide around.

"How about this." Ben started, "We dare you to ask Adelaide out. No matter what it takes. You'll ask her out, make out in the van, and after that... you can break up with her."

"I'm not doing that."

Adelaide never thought Rodrick could be in a stable relationship. She always saw him move on from girl to girl and never stay in a relationship long enough to even utter the words "so how about a second date".