Never said I was a saint- chapter 14

All, for nothing at all

***

The smoke fills my lungs as i watch the students make their way to the school entrance. Some of them are laughing, while others are quiet, following the path to school that they memorized clearly. The cigarette is sitting comfortably in my hand.

The thunderstorm stopped last night. Now, a thick fog makes my eyesight blurry, and my hair ruffled. It is colder than usual, winter announcing its presence slowly. My hand trembles when I bring the cigarette to my mouth, and some students give me odd looks when they see me. I guess people found out quickly that Spencer's ex, Chloe, is now hanging out with the school's most hated person, Tate. And we got chased by Spencer's minions at the Halloween party. I bet that's what everyone's gossiping about today.

It is a weird morning. Everyone is relaxed. Well, maybe not completely relaxed since our teachers have gone mad and now we have tons of assignments, but, still, relaxed. There's an unusual vibe, like something bad is going to happen, and i am the only one aware of it.

"Hey Chloe." The familiar voice approaches me.

"Hey Zoey." I greet her while finishing my cigarette.

"How are you feeling?" She asks and looks at me concerned.

I told Diana and Zoey what happened last night, but i avoided the details. It isn't my place to tell them about Tate's family's history, but i wanted to let them know that the dinner was horrible. I told them that Tate started fighting with his parents, and then he started fighting with me. He was angry, and he was trying to blame anyone but him for it.

Zoey and Diana understood that i didn't want to tell them everything we said to one another, and i was grateful.

"I'm managing." I answer vaguely.

"Did you get a chance to talk to him?" She starts walking and i join her.

"No, of course not. I'm not going to call him yet. He needs some space to think about everything."

"You know, i don't think he's at school today." She informs me.

"He isn't here?" I look at her confused.

"No, but it doesn't surprise me."

"It doesn't surprise me either." I say in a rather disappointed tone than an angry one.

We stay silent our whole walk. It is an awkward silence since we both don't know what to say. I think Zoey wants to ask me some more questions, but stops herself from doing so. She noticed that I've been kind of distant ever since Tate came into my life, but she knows my boundaries. She doesn't want to force me to talk, though she has every right to.

I, for one, want to ask her about Axel. Hopefully, her relationship is going better than mine. But i keep thinking about Tate and what he is doing since he isn't at school. There I am, worrying all the time.

We have a lot of things to still talk about, like the fact that he told Larry that we are in a relationship. Things are still unclear between us.

Before going to class, Zoey hugs me tightly before going our separate ways. I know she feels bad for me. I know she wants to say something like "You shouldn't have gone to that dinner, it only made things worse". She really should, I miss her telling me how many bad decisions I've made in my life.

My english class doesn't help at all. Our teacher decides that it would be best if we discuss the topic of love, using the Orpheus and Eurydice legend. I choose to sit in the back of the class.