Could it be a happy life? - chapter 3

All I want is
And all I need is
To find somebody
I'll find somebody
Like you

***

Why does it feel so weird? I'm never nervous around anyone. And it's not like Tate is intimidating or anything.

I keep looking at him, hoping that he is going to say something. But, maybe the silence is better. Crazy how a few moments ago i wanted him to shut up, but now I'm hoping to hear him say a word.

He is walking next to me with his hands in his pockets, his shoulders relaxed and looking straight ahead. To our surprise, the rain stopped a little. Only small drops of water hit the pavement from time to time. 

The road is deserted and the houses that we are passing by look completely dead. Everyone's still at work, since it's the middle of the day. We should be at school too, but, we are actually walking with no direction, in danger of catching a cold because of our soaking wet clothes and chilly fall air, that sends goosebumps all over our bodies.

I'm trying to relax too, but my head is full of thoughts. So many thoughts that I can't list them all. Most of them revolve around Tate, the fight and his weird house. I didn't forget about the headaches that building gave me yesterday. Though, that's a problem that I'm going to have to take care of later.

This walk should feel peaceful, but, for some reason, I only feel uneasy. I think Tate noticed that I'm pretty uncomfortable, but doesn't say anything about it. It's not like I'm expecting him to.

"What do you want to do?" He asks without looking at me. The tone of his voice makes me think that my presence is a burden to him. Or maybe I'm just overthinking.

"I don't know. Any ideas?" I respond after a short pause. I inch closer to him, but he doesn't seem to notice.

"No, that's why I asked you." He says with that expressionless face of his. He looks irritated and bored at the same time. 

"We could maybe go to the beach." I say, trying to ignore his sudden attitude.

He doesn't respond. I think he's ok with my idea. Though it's not like he has much of a choice. I just hoped that he'd be more talkative, because his short, cold sentences are only making me feel embarrassed that I've ever spoke up.

It's good that the beach isn't far from here, it's only a 10 minute walk. I'm already getting tired from all of the running around. I think sitting on the beach is going to be the only good thing to come out of today.

The silence is becoming too much for me, so I take out my Mp3 player and I plug in my headphones. Music is the only thing that can save this godforsaken walk.

I would offer him an earplug to listen with me, but I'm pretty sure he would be complaining about my music taste. I don't think he even noticed that i put my headphones on. Plus, he doesn't deserve this small act of kindness after the attitude that he's been giving me lately.

I continue glancing at him, hoping that he would talk to me about something, but he doesn't pay any attention to me, almost as if I wasn't there. I should probably stop looking at him, his face is annoying.

I don't know why it makes me so mad that he isn't talking to me, but I kind of want to know more about him, and i feel like if I'm the first to start the conversation he is just going to ignore me the whole time.