Sunset- chapter 8

A loud sound. A door opens and closes loudly.

"Elizabeth?" Someone screams, making me lift my eyes from the book that i am reading.

"Elizabeth!" I hear it once again, angrier than the first time . The voice that is familiar to me makes me stand up from my bed on high alert.

"Where are you? We need to talk." The man says calmer this time. It isn't a good sign.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck." I keep saying to myself. My heart is beating so fast that i am sure it is going to explode any second.

"What are you doing here?" The sound of a woman's voice echoes.

My palms are sweating. I am breathing fast, tears are burning my eyes. I wipe my hands on my jeans. Standing still next to my bed, my feet don't want to move any closer or any further from the fight downstairs.

"What do you mean what I'm doing here? This is my fucking house."

I pinch my eyes shut at the words that I've heard way too many times. Those words only lead to one thing.

"You don't get to come here and act like you own the fucking place after going missing for 2 fucking weeks." Elizabeth says, keeping her strict tone lowered. I can tell she doesn't want me to hear, but I always do.

"And what do you know, huh? Now tell me, how many men did you sleep with while I was away?" The drunken voice says. He stumbles over his words, clearly not making any sense.

"You can't keep trying to justify your stupid decisions using this lie of yours that I've been sleeping around. You always do this."

"Then what have you been doing while I was gone, huh?" He says quickly, almost mocking my mom's desperation.

"I've been working because we have fucking bills to pay and a daughter to take care of. We-"

"What have you been doing?" He screams this time, cutting her off. He isn't satisfied with her answers.

"Scream in my face one more time and I'll fucking kill you." She yells, which makes my blood freeze in my veins. She always tries to talk this through calmly, apologizing a million times. It never works, but after a while at least he stops and goes to sleep. Her change of attitude freaks me out.

"Are you threatening me?" He says, lowering his voice.

Steps. A lot of loud and quick steps. My dad is getting closer to my mom , but she must be backing away from him.

"Get out of my house or I'll call the police." She says loud enough for me to hear. I have to call 911. 

Is it that bad? My mom told me to never call the police in situations like this and I've never questioned it. Is this fight going to be that bad? I don't think I want to sit around and find out how strong my dad is when he's drunk.

I can't move. I look a few times from my door to my phone. I don't want to call the police. Selfish, i know. But even if my dad is hurting my family, i don't want to involve the police in this, I don't want to see him in jail. What is wrong with me?

I hear something breaking, a vase.

"Stupid woman!" My dad yells and another hitting sound makes me close my eyes. It didn't sound like a slap, more like punch.

Another one. A defeated yelp from my mom.

What I do next is probably a big mistake. My mom told me to never come out of my room if dad comes home drunk. But I can't sit around and let him do whatever he pleases to us. I want to hurt that son of  a bitch myself.