Threats and Punishments

Chapter eighteen: 

They had finally left their place of laying never seeing the eyes. Colton took Isabel inside while Elijah went home. The eyes had left the spot of watching.

"Alaia, I suppose you come back with some useful information?" Edgar said as Alaia walked in the door.

"Yes governor." She said fiddling with her fingers.

He motioned for her to sit pouring liquid into a glass and placing it on the table in front of her.

"Tell me."

As she talked and sipped her drink, she started feeling very hot. Her throat began slowly closing. When she  finished telling him the information she was hardly breathing. Sweat was dripping down her temples. Her eyes were barely opened.

"Thank you my dear, go off to bed now." Edagr said taking to empty glass away from her.

She struggled to get up the stairs going to her room.

"Excellent news." He smiled to himself picking up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Good evening Henry, I would like to speak to you in the morning if that's alright with you?"

"Of course what time?"

Henry stood in front of his mirror fixing his tie. He was incredibly nervous, his hands were shaking, his heat felt like it was running a marathon, it was very unusual.

When he got over to the house he tried his best to compose himself before exiting the car.

"You called me here." Henry said walking in to the house.

"I did." Edgar said stepping away from the door so Henry could go in.

"How are you this fine morning?" He asked closing the door walking twords Henry with his hands clasped behind his back.

"Fine."

"Hows your wife doing?" He stopped at a small bar moving the bottles around so the labels were facing out ward. He turned back twords him.

"Shes well." He put his arm over his shoulder and began to walk twords his office.

"Your children? How are they?"

"They're alright."

"That's good." He stopped at the office door and opened it. "Now I'm betting you're wondering why I called you here so early."

Henry nodded. "Yes, why did you?"

"Well Henry just know that I know everything that goes on between each boarder."

"Yes sir."

He gave him a tight lipped smile.

"I want to invite you and your family to a dinner, my house seven o'clock sharp."

"Of course, I will make sure we're all there."

"Good, you may leave now."

"Yes sir." He turned around and started walking.

"Henry, one more thing."

He looked over his shoulder

"Yes?"

"I'd be careful who you trust."

"Of course."

With that he left the house fully aware something was going to happen.

Something bad.

When he got home, he sat in the driveway for a good amount of time. He thought over everything that could have happened to make the governor invite him to dinner, he only ever did so when he was suspicious of something or more someone.

He got out of his car and walked to the door, opening it slowly as to not draw any attention to himself.

"Darling? Have you come home?" Henry heard his wife's voice.

Stopping in his tracks he felt her on his shoulder.

"Its nothing my love, he just wanted to invite us to a dinner tonight." He took her hand and kissed it gently.

"Does it have anything to do with Elijah." She asked, concern filling her eyes.

It was pointless to lie to her, she would find out soon enough so what good would it do. So he simply said nothing, he looked it to her eyes before walking up the stairs.

Carla coverd her mouth as she silently gasped. Henry didnt need to say anything to her, she already knew by his silence.

Henry made his was to Elijah's room and put his hand on the door knob. He hesitated, not sure to tell him or not. What good would it do him? He would already find out. Henry thoughts consumed his mind. He had made his decision. Opening the door he entered the room. Elijah looked up at his father from a piece of paper he was holding while he shut the door.

"He knows." Henry said turing to face his son.

Elijah's face went pale, his eyes were devoid of anything. He didnt know what to say, Henry continued.

"He knows son, I'm so sorry."

"What does he want?" These were the only words Elijah could really think of to say. His thoughts were racing with what would happen to Isabel, to Colton, to his family.

"He wants us at a dinner tonight." Henry told him as calm as he could, internally Henry's mind was swimming with thoughts and suspicions and possibilities that could come from the night.

"Hes not letting this go, is he?"

"No, hes not and he will make sure to get his propaganda out of it as well."

"Hes going to kill us."

"He might."

Silence.

"I must inform your sister."

Elijah looked at his father with disgust.

"You put her in this?"

"I did nothing, you're the one who did it. God Elijah why did you have to go after that girl?"

"I-" he thought. Why did he? Was it her eyes? Or maybe her face? Or maybe it was because he was a love sick teenager. He wasnt sure.

"I dont know."

"It was stupid and reckless and now you've cost this family." Henry spat coldly.

"I should have never looked across that broader." Elijah whispered.

"Maybe that would have been best." His father opened the door. "He wants us there at 7 o'clock, I suggest you prepare for what's about to come."

Without another word he left, closing the door behind him. Elijah was at a loss for words. He felt sick that he and he alone did this to not only himself but his family, his bestfriend, and the girl he loved. He didnt know what would become of them. Would they all be killed? Or sent away? Maybe a public execution for them all showing every citizen what happened when they disobeyed.

He had to think of something to do to save everyone, and do it quickly 7 o'clock would be here before he knew it.