Chapter Ten

~ELAIINE'S POV~

We were sitting in the car with silence around. Nobody talked after my statement about everything being all weird and stuff. I just started talking when he turned right instead of turning left that leads us to his apartment. "Is this another route to go to your apartment?"

"What? No. We're going to the animal shelter." he answered.

"And how far is it approximately?" I ask, scared that it'll be too awkward if we're too far from it even with songs playing.

"About twenty-thirty minutes." Oh, boy.

So we were quiet again for at least three minutes. But then I asked him, "Why do you need to go there?" I can't take then silence anymore. I'm not meditating so I don't need music to be the only thing who keeps on blabbing.

"The daughter of the manager texted me if I can work an extra shift over night. Her parents are out of town and there are no other people that she can call because they're either busy or at school." he answered in monotone. Bored much?

"By people you mean employees?" I ask curiously. I'm kind of getting something in here.

"By people I meant her friends." Monotone again.

"So you're the only employee they have?" I turned up the volume.

"Yes." he answered simply. Okay, am I getting on his nerves again? Lke hell, bro? What did I do this time. But I'm kind of getting the idea that the daughter of the manager likes him. I'm pretty good at this stuff. My brother has too many girls drooling over him. Just too many. Other people even thought that he was my boyfriend, so girls would just give clues for me to watch my back because they'll haunt me down or something like that. If Jake and I notice anything like that, we'll exchange looks and laugh. Then explain to them that he's my brother.

Anyways, we were quiet again for at least five minutes--which I didn't know I could be quiet for that long-- then I started talking again. "As your friend, you're good."

We stopped at a red light and he starred at me confused like he's asking me what I was talking about. He didn't ask me a question so I'm not gonna give him an answer. I pointed at the green light. He started driving.

We were quiet again--ugh. I know-- for about half a minute then we entered the free way. His face lit up and he said, "Oh." I'm guessing he got what I was talking about.

"And you thought I had no idea of the thing you call "the incident"? Heeeell no. I knew what you were talking about." I revealed, emphasizing the word hell.

"How'd you know?" he ask like it was the big thing. Bigger than gods who people kept having wars on.

"You need to work on your murmuring skillz." I added the z for effect.

"Okay, fine. You too." he admitted. I knew what he was talkling about. Of course, I blushed. Who wouldn't.

"Nate said it's slobbery. But it was back in high school." I said with a hint of disgust and embarrasment in my voice.

"Congrats. You're kissing skillz improved." We laughed. We just laugh at weird statements including this. I kind of feel a little bit better now. Like the thorns in my chest have been pulled out and I can breathe better.

That was enough. I didn't talk afterwards. I don't care if awkwardness is always surrounding us. Right now, I feel okay. And I feel like, I've moved on, perhaps? Maybe like, I moved on about everything. Not really moved on. Maybe I just got used to the fact that Nate is gone and Alfonso will never love me in the way that I'm thinking it. You know when I said that you can't really move on with stuff? Yeah, kinda like that.