Chapter Eleven

~ALFONSOS POV~

We're riding back home to my apartment. Elaine was awfully quiet during the whole friggin ride while sneezing. I tried to get her into a conversation, but she has this way of ending it.

Attempt One:

"Why so quiet?"

"I, uh, just don't feel good."

Attempt Two (three minutes later):

"Are you allergic to fur or something like that?"

"Kinda. But I just need to drink this thing and I'll be okay."

Attempt Three (six minutes later):

"How's life?"

"Not fine, obviously."

"Is it the animal thing?

"Yeah."

Attempt Four (ten minutes later):

"Am I bothering you?"

"No."

Dafuq dude? What the hell is wrong with you? Just freakin tell me. I didn't start any conversation after that. I wonder what she's thinking while the sneezing keeps on going on and on and on and on.

THINGS THAT ELAINE MIGHT BE THINKING ABOUT:

"God, stop this madness."

"Why do I need to be allergic to cute creatures?"

"Why did I even ask for a job there?"

Or something like that.

I don't care about her sneezing. I don't even care about her allergic reactions to things at all. All I know is that I like her, but I have no clue if she does back. What even is the difference between like and love? "El?"

"Are you talking to me?" she ask. I can feel her looking at me. Her eyes all unconcious about the world.

"Yeah."

"Uh, okay. What do you want, Al?" I can tell she wasn't trying to sound rude, but too late.

I forgot what I was gonna say for a moment. "Why aren't you talking crap about Jill?" I know that that was not the question I was going to ask her.

"Cuz. I don't want to sneeze while talking to you. To much saliva in the car is what it's going to end up to. Maybe tomorrow." She sneezed.

"Oh. Okay." I don't have guts to ask her something for some reason. I feel nervous and afraid and something else. "Uh."

She waited for me to say something. "What is the difference between like and love?"

She was quiet for a moment. Sneezing while thinking. I wonder why she didn't sneeze earlier in the shelter? Trying to hold it in, perhaps?

"Do you need an explanation?"

"It's not that important. Really."

Silence. I thought she wasn't going to answer, but she did, "Liking someone is the same thing as a crush, but never the same thing as love. Liking someone feels like floating. Liking someone feels like you want to be with them. Liking someone is knowing their best side and never regretting that you knew it.

"But on the other hand, loving someone feels like dying then living happily in heaven. Loving someone feels like you wanting to be with them and you wanting them to be with you. Loving someone is knowing their bad side and not regretting that you knew it because you know that it is better than the effort that the good side will ever give you.