Chapter 12: The Virus

While sitting here with Andy and Kelly, Talion tugs on my shirt, and I turn to see the look on his face. He points to the television and I see the Breaking News banner written at the bottom of the screen.

Several New Cases of the Virus in the United States.

As he turns the volume up, we listen to the President making a live speech to the nation.

"... over the past 24 hours, the cases of people showing signs of the new Astrovirus has doubled in most cities throughout our great nation. We, at this point, do not know the cause of the infection, but I have our top scientist working on the problem. For now, I would like to ask you all to do your civic duty and remain in your homes. This virus is very communicable, it is deadly and easily transmittable, we have found. Currently, the World Health Organization characterized the outbreak as a pandemic. Human-to-human transmission occurs through close contact. The main symptoms are diarrhea, followed by nausea, vomiting, fever, malaise, and abdominal pain. Some research studies have shown that the incubation period of the disease is approximately three to four days, in most cases, but we have found that this strain is much more invasive. Astrovirus infection is not usually a severe situation until now, and it is causing severe dehydration, leading to death. At this point, I need you all to trust in our government, trust in our scientists and believe that we will find the cause of this contagion. From here on out, I will be doing daily briefings, to keep you all abreast of the situation. As your President, I am asking you to think of others, do not ignore this warning, and be aware of the signs of infection. God Bless the United States of America and be safe." The President says, and I look at Talion.

"This isn't over, is it?" I say to him.

Solomon answers, "No, I don't believe it is and we have more work to do."

"Doesn't it seem odd, that they are calling it the Astrovirus, considering our name and all? Do they believe Dan caused this outbreak?" I ask.

He answers, "Well, it is quite a coincidence, I'll admit, but this is the name of a well-known virus that has been transmuted."

"While we were at the hospital, they kept us in a closed-in area, in the pediatric wing so that we were not infected, but now I worry we may be. Cece, should we leave?" Kelly asks anxiously.

Talion answers for me and says, "No, none of us should leave right now, by the orders of the President, but maybe for the next few days they could stay at Rose's house. That way we can make sure you all did not contract the disease."

As the three get up to leave, I look at my sister and I want to hug her, but she holds out her hand to stop me.

Kelly says, "It's alright Cece, I love you so much and we will be fine."

"The house will be completely stocked, and I will send over anything you need. I am so sorry about all of this you guys." I say to my sister and her husband.

Todd answers, "Cece, this is not your fault and I doubt we were infected, but this is probably for the best, to make sure we are not contagious."

"Luckily, we never unpacked," Kelly adds as I look at my sweet sister.

I reply, "Wait, let me get you some basic supplies, and then call me with anything you might need. God, this is horrible."

With tears in her eyes, she just nods, and I run into the kitchen to gather whatever I can find. Talion joins me and the two of us make up bags of groceries, and any necessities we can think of for the next few days.

Right now, I need my sister, and she needs me, but this must be done, I suppose. At least she's here with us.

Once they leave our house, I watch out the window until I see that they have reached Rose's home. Luckily, I can see her house from here. We can talk on the phone and I know she is safe. As for the rest of the people in my house, Corwin, Solomon, and his men, plus the Bishop and the Cardinals, we will need to find room for everyone, I suppose.