Chapter 11

∗•✧◈✧•∗
11 - Ballad of Youth

∗•✧◈✧•∗11 - Ballad of Youth

*•✧◈✧•*

Despite his interest in Greek's greatest tragedy, Evan Rosier believed that heroes were pathetic. He had skimmed from the betrayal of the Olympians until the end of the Trojan war. His hazel eyes never once beamed over the tales of Achilles, Hercules or Perseus. No, he frowned. He pitied them. In his own spectrum, Rosier filtered their stories through his very own lenses of good and evil. His standards of justice and whatnot.

              In his discovery, he concluded that pain, loss, and grief were the price of greatness they had to pay upfront. Misery made the demi-gods heroes.

               The heroes were whisked down to hell before they could achieve their quests or prophecy. Achilles lost Patroclus, his lover, before he could be a hero of the Trojan war. Perseus had been banished along with his mother and butchered monsters before he became a King. Left in his late-night thoughts, Evan began to question things such as; whether fortune, fame, and glory were worth the risk of being a hero or not? Why did the world need a hero? What made someone a villain?

"I think heroes are fools." Evan spoke out loud. Unlike Gammaliel who had been suggested to trap her idea in her head, House of Rosier held high regards of opinions.

             It was an uncommon mindset for a young wizard, especially when he was the heir of an old-fashioned aristocratic family. He remembered vividly how the idea inflicted an argument for the first time. It was one slow September afternoon, the breeze was mild when it brushed his 8th birthday candle. On the long table, only three chairs were filled, he had invited Gammaliel. However, the Irish witch was celebrating her brother's first payday that same day.

As an apology, the Merlin siblings had sent him a present earlier that morning. A tiny, albino bat that Alphard rescued from magical dark market in China, which was sound asleep on his bedroom after he fed her with lots of ripe papaya. Evan could not help but wished that he could spend his time with his new familiar instead of being trapped in an awkward dinner.

            "Come again," Prometheus pleaded politely, arching his brows at the boy's peculiar statement. "You don't want to be a hero?" he inquired once again as an effort to assure himself. Evan nodded then he added, "Why is that, Junior?"

           "I do not wish to suffer, uncle," Evan replied calmly, there was no hesitation in his tone. Silence followed his answer. He wasn't sure what crossed his uncles' minds at the time, but their wary was evident in their silence. He motioned his eyes to meet his uncles' perplexed gaze. "Agony made the greatest hero," he started then went on. "Heroes sacrificed themselves for the greater good."