Chapter 32

∗•✧◈✧•∗
32 - Lovers at Midnight

∗•✧◈✧•∗32 - Lovers at Midnight

*•✧◈✧•*

A black cat sat atop pyramids of books that Yuletide evening, flicking her tail steadily behind her. In the candlelit, her silhouette enshrouded nearly half of Martin's bedroom wall; a phantom of its own form. And yet her long, silky coat was no attribute of such beast but that of a fresh-shop doll. Her watchful eyes studied her master as a protesting growl left her black maw.

         "You cannot go with me, Shadow." Her master declared, without looking away from the mirror. He ran his fingers between his golden locks before returning to adjust his bow tie.

          His snow-white suit brightened his face, warm in the presence of candlelights. From head to toe, nothing was less than perfect. The tailcoat lay flat behind his knees, the cutting was precise, fitting the arch of his shoulders, not too long at the sleeves, nor hung too high at the ankles. His shoes, polished sleek, and the selection of color brought attention to his eyes.

Martin stirred in front of the mirror, palming at his suit, straightening the invisible crinkles and the edges, scrutinizing every tiny detail. Shadow's glare remained but his calm composure proved that her demeanor was not unusual.

He spun in front of the mirror, smiling. "How do I look?"

She studied him. After a long silence, she spoke, Are you trying to impersonate a Yeti?

"Cath Drwg." Martin swooped her off her throne and cradled her in his arms. Shadow met her own glare in the mirror. "I can't take you with me. People will bring teacups crups. You hate them. And you are an ill-mannered beast to strangers."

          I am not ill-mannered! Shadow shrieked. She swung her front paw, her razor-sharp claw gashed the back of Martin's hand.

          Martin put her down as he hissed. The wound stung in the aftermath, welling with blood. Shadow ran to a safe corner and her ears tucked in fear as she watched red dribble at the back of his hand. She was expecting a scolding but her master merely looked at her with a frown.

            "A beast, still."

           With that, he turned around, picked up his wand from the bed, and marched to the doorway.

            Once the door was clicked shut, Shadow's ears perked in full alert, listening for footsteps. When the echoes faded, she rose to her paws and stretched her limbs, climbing from one piece of furniture to the other until she reached the window. She pawed at the hinges until the jamb was docked open.