Full Control (20)

Avathara

      "We were thinking of returning next week," Aeress said. Warrick was obviously in the background, chiming in when there was space.

      Avathara continued to pace inside her bedroom. "You don't have to. You guys are busy enough as it is. I'd really hate to drag you all over the world just to check up on me."

      Aeress sighed, though in what manner was unclear. "Avathara, I'm the reason behind your struggles right now. It is my responsibility to help when I can. The least I can do is check up on you."

      She understood what she meant and knew there was no point in challenging her extremely stubborn nature. "I understand. No progress has been made. It's been a couple of weeks since you left... and nothing."

      "You will be able to control it," Aeress affirmed, "but there are mental blocks stopping you. That's why Klein has been so adamant about meditation and therapy. You can't control a power like this with an uncertain mind like yours."

      Avathara looked around nervously. "How do you know? How can you be sure that it isn't for any other reason?"

      "I went through a very similar process in discovering and obtaining control over my own abilities. I still practice with my fire every day. These things take time."

      "She's making some good points," Warrick agreed in the background. She imagined him pacing back and forth in a similar fashion as her own.

      "Hurting Klein like I did was a huge setback," she admitted, realizing that Aeress was completely right. "I'm scared." Wow, she enjoyed this new version of herself, the version that was honest and open. It reminded her of a certain deliciously handsome mate who was currently doing alpha things around town.

      "There's nothing wrong with a little fear. Although, misdirected fear can also be tricky. You are afraid of trying, of hurting someone in the process when you should be afraid of not trying at all. That is guaranteed endangerment."

      Avathara tried to absorb every single word, and for once, it was finally making sense. "You're right. Thank you, Aeress." Mother.

      "So, I hear Kallista has not returned."

      "She hasn't bothered you anymore, has she?" Warrick demanded, following the statement.

     Avathara played with a curl of her hair, watching outside as the sky slowly began its descent into darkness--she could only imagine how beautiful the sunset at the beach looked like. "No, she's been staying with pack members in the central part of town. I'm not sure when she will return."

      "Well, an alpha needs his beta," it was obvious that Warrick took the phone from Aeress, "so it is not good that she has stayed away this long."

      "And what about Klein? He's your beta."

      "He's in charge of my most important task, protecting my daughter."

      Her chest warmed at how serious he was. She didn't understand how both of them could care for her so much. "Well, he has also been helping Idris, along with Shanice. It's obvious that Kallista played an important role in this community." She felt ashamed and guilty all over again. It was her fault that Kallista was gone.

      "Well, either way, it would be good to sort it out," Warrick continued, "between the two of them, among the three of you. If it means she needs to move on to somewhere else, so be it, but this cannot go on."

      Avathara nodded. "I'll talk to Idris tonight."

      There was a tussling sound before Aeress was on the phone again. "Listen, we've taken up enough of your time, but we just wanted to check on you. Keep us updated. Yes, we get calls from Idris and Klein, but we want hope you can make spots for us in your schedule?"