Breathe With Me (23)

Avathara

      She hadn't talked to Idris in days. He hadn't come to their bedroom. Now, she was summoned to the backyard. There were so many people. Some sent her sympathetic looks and others avoided looking at her altogether. While it wasn't alien to her, being an outcast, it didn't make the sting of it any easier to bear.

     Shanice came to her side. She was especially gloomy this time around. "What's happening?" Avathara inquired.

     Shanice grimaced, like there was an unpleasant taste in her mouth. "I figured he didn't tell you. We almost didn't bring you to see this, but it is necessary that if possible, the entire community should witness punishments."

     They all formed a circle around two posts with ties tethered to them. Avathara had a terrible feeling about what was to come next. She knew exactly who would be in the center of this gathering.

     The crowd of people quieted, hushing those who were not as quick to go along with the shift in volume. Avathara watched as a section of people began to part across from her. She immediately recognized Idris as he towered above everyone else. The closer he came, the more she saw how sickly he was.

     "Idris," she gasped. He flinched but didn't look her way, eyes trained downward. He was so obviously experiencing malnutrition. In all these days that had passed, he either was denied or denied himself the basic necessities of survival. As no one was obviously escorting him, it was self-inflicted.

     His walk lacked the power it usually had.

     Two soldiers departed from the crowd and helped in tying his arms up, so his back was stretched tightly.

     "It'll be okay," Shanice whispered, "but this must happen."

     "No," Avathara responded as Shanice stepped away, revealing in her other hand a whip. "Please, no."

     "Alpha Idris turned himself in to me five days ago," Shanice spoke to the people, "admitting to abusing his position as alpha." The crowd gasped. "He voluntarily subjected himself to five days without food, drink, or a proper place to sleep. To complete his punishment, he will receive slashes to his back, forty, to be exact. Ten for each year he abused his position."

     Avathara looked around helplessly, and while she was glad that no one looked pleased, it was certain that no one planned on intervening. In a pack that valued law and order, something like this must be followed through with.

     Once she split open his skin with the first strike, Idris grunted under his breath. She couldn't tell if it was because he was too weak to give a loud reaction or if he was too prideful to show how painful it really was. Something like this would have any sane person screaming in agony.

     This was far too much for her to handle. The smoke itched to come out, to make everyone stop. To make it all stop.

Pain. Hurt.

     Terrified she would explode, she fled from the scene of torture. She gasped for air, running, running away from it all. She kept on her feet, hoping that if she moved quick enough, she could avoid the horror of what she just witnessed.

     Nothing felt real anymore. It all just felt like one continuous nightmare. And when she thought she was finally having a taste of happiness, the reality of her situation returned, reminding her that life was not this kind.

     After however much time passed, she was out of the town, in a random patch of woodland area. It was extremely hot, and she was sweating profusely, drenching the clothes she was wearing.