I'm A Beast (30)

Avathara

      After Idris and Avathara thanked everyone as the ceremony concluded, the pack members went back to their seats and dinner began to be shared. She felt much better as the table was returned before them and the other four people returned. Now, they were surrounded by moonflowers, and she decided it was her favorite flower. 

      The aroma of the meat and pasta triggered a tight squeeze in her belly. Yeah, her appetite had certainly returned. She noticed that soup was being served. She leaned over and whispered into Idris' ear. "What kind of soup is this?"

      "Minestra d'orzo." A small bowl was placed in front of her as he answered her question. She immediately dug in. She sighed happily as the taste hit her tongue. Soon, she was finishing it off quicker than the rest of the table.

      She did not notice Idris had gotten up until he returned with a larger plate. She laughed as the beautiful pasta dish was placed before her, "Here, tagliatelle bolognese. You like it. Eat."

      Everyone else at the table was still working on their soup, and while it crossed her mind that she was being rude, she still scooped the pasta and meat into her mouth. The savory taste of the red sauce was euphoric to her taste buds.

      "Twirl the fork, it'll be easier," he commented as she was obviously struggling a bit. She did, and he was right, it far less messy.

      As she was halfway through the main dish, people were just emptying their bowls. Klein cleared his throat. "So, what? Did Aeress and Warrick change their mind?" Avathara didn't understand his question, so, she directed her gaze at her mate.

      Idris grimaced, his annoyance briefly spiking. "It was supposed to be a surprise," he looked Klein in the eyes. "But there must have been a delay in their travels. I'm sorry they couldn't make it in time, Avathara."

      She shrugged, continuing her consumption of the al dente pasta. "It's okay. They're not down the street. I don't expect them to show up whenever I want them to. It's sweet that you tried having them here, though." She placed her hand on his thigh and she felt his muscle jump underneath her palm. She had a feeling something else twitched in response too.

      The rest of the tagliatelle bolognese—perhaps it was time for her to start taking Italian lessons—began to be served to everyone else. "My mate will have another serving" Idris communicated this with a server passing by. Avathara grinned as a second, full dish replaced the one she just finished off.

      "I see your appetite has returned, that's great," Idris told her as he dug in to his food.

      She nodded but didn't say anything else, too focused on the goodness in front of her. A little while passed with little else said, and it was a comfortable silence she enjoyed like a complimenting flavor to her meal. This time, her bites were slower and they all finished together, although she had consumed plenty more than the rest. Finally, they were served fresh fruit.

      "Pesca di verona," Idris explained to her as they all began biting into the crisp nutriment. It was juicy, filling her mouth with sweetness, a hint of sour taste that made her lips slightly pucker. By the time she cleaned her bowl, she sat back completely stuffed.

      Idris laughed, looking back at her. She smiled at him, realizing what a sight she must have been. "I know," she responded, releasing a quiet burp, patting her belly, "I'm a beast." He furrowed his brows at her, reaching back to put his hand on hers. "I was going to say, 'that's more like it'."

      This night can't get any better!

      But then, the music started back up, and people got out of their seats, answering the call of the upbeat rhythm. Idris stood, taking her hand in hers. "I'm not ready yet. If I dance now, I'll get sick," she said loudly as the overall volume of the gathering raised.