Chapter 13

(Don't Play The Song Yet)

{An Hour Later}

~Klaus POV~

We Got Out Of The Meeting With The Townspeople And The Elders. There Are Thousands, If Not Millions, Of Rules Here. Such As 'No Talking On The Platform' And 'No Villainy Allowed Within Town Limits'. The Reason This Village Took Us In Is To Do Their Chores. Count Olaf's Troupe Has Made It Here As Well; Esme Is The Chief Of Police And Going By A Fake Name. Unsurprising.

Hector, The Person Who's Going To Take Care Of Us, Walked Outside The Town Hall With y/n, Violet, Sunny, And I. He Kept Fainting In Front Of The Elders.

We Told Hector About Count Olaf Being Her. While Violet, Sunny, And I Talked With Hector, y/n Look Over At Something. I Looked Where She Was Looking But Saw Nothing.

"You All Can Tell Me Your Story As We Walk To My House." Hector Said.

y/n Snapped Back. The Crows Started Flying Into The Sunset.

"Awesome." I Said, Kind Of Startling The Others. "It's A Phrase Meaning 'Inspiring Awe'."

"The Crows Always Migrate From The Fountain To Nevermore Tree, Which Is Located Behind Your New Home." Hector Said. "Come On, Let's Hear Your Story."

"It's A Bit Long." Violet Said.

"Well, It's A Long Walk." Hector Replied. "Tell Me On The Way."

{An Hour Later}

Hector Wiped His Eyes As We Reached His House.

"That's Sad." He Said. "I Wish I Could Do Something, Anything, To Help."

"Maybe Talk To The Elders About Count Olaf Being In Town." y/n Suggested.

"I Mean In A Way That Isn't Absolutely Terrifying." Hector Said.

We Tried To Convince Him But Failed. He Said It Doesn't Matter If They Know You, They Won't Help. Like With His Mom. He Would Elaborate On What Happened To Her.

"There Are So Many Rules Here." y/n Said.

"You Have To Keep A Lot Of Secrets In This Town." Hector Added. "I'll Show You."

He Took Us Over To His Barn. When He Opened It, We Saw A Giant Machine. It Looked Like Some Sort Of Giant Hot Air Balloon. There Were Baskets Of Stuff On The Sides.

"Whoa." Violet Said.

"What Is It?" I Asked.

"A Self-Sustaining Hot Air Mobile Home." Hector Said.

He Was Ordered To Destroy All This Stuff. He Explained About Rules Prohibiting All Except 2 Books, About Inventing Or Using Mechanical Devices, And Using Ones Mouth For Recreation.

"It's Big Enough For 5, Even 6. You Can Come With Me." He Said.

{Several Hours Later}

Everyone Else Is Asleep. I Kept Trying To Sleep By Couldn't. Something Isn't Right But I Don't Know What It Is Or Could Be.

The Sound Of Footsteps Came From One Of The Other Beds. I Opened One Eye And Attempted To See What Was Going On. Without My Glasses, All I Could See Was The Blurry Figure Of Someone Getting Out Of Bed And Putting Their Shoes On. From Where They Are I Can Tell It's y/n. She Then Quietly Left The Room. What Is She Doing?

I Got Up And Put My Shoes And Glasses On. Then I Quietly Followed Her. She Slipped Out The Door And After A Few Second I Did. She Was Headed Towards The Town. I Could Hear Her Humming Something.(Play Song.)