Chapter 10

"Stop the frost from spreading! STOP IT!!!" I thought frantically.

It stopped, but it looked too late. The frost was covering his head, all over his arms and legs, and he was shivering really badly.

"Oh, Chris!" I sobbed, and ran to his side.

He looked pretty shocked, considering the fact that he went to sleep warm and sweaty and woke up completely frozen.

"It's... not your fault, (Y/N)..." he managed, "You didn't know."

"I'm sorry, Chris! I just wanted to get you the best birthday present ever... and I ruined it." I sniffled, "And now you could die."

"Well, if I'm going to die... could I at least have a kiss?" Chris smirked.

"You can definitely have a kiss."

The next few seconds were censored by Ethan, who covered his eyes the entire time.

After we pulled apart, I felt a lot warmer. And it was then I realized something: the frost was gone! I gasped, and turned my attention to Chris. The frost that had completely covered his body had disappeared as well! He sat up and looked at his arms in amazement. Then he noticed that I was completely cured as well, and grinned.

"Chris, I-"

He put a finger on my mouth. His hand moved up to my cheek, fingering the long white strip that had scarred over since my battle with the Darker Lord. My scar tingled with his touch. He leaned in again, and I leaned in for another kiss...

"Squee!"

I turned towards the window, and who did I find there but Faith, Hope, and Charity, holding their cameras and squealing.

"This is going on my story!" Charity screamed.

"Oh gosh," I said, and quickly rushed over to the window, "Faith! Why didn't you tell me how to cure the Gelo Magico?"

"I knew you would figure it out," she simpered, "Plus, it made it much more dramatic!"

I scowled and shut the blinds, cutting out the fairies' view into our room.

"I'm still not entirely sure what happened," Chris said.

"I'll tell you later," I pressed, "Right now... Ethan and I have a birthday gift for you!"

Chris smiled, and scooted onto the edge of the bed. Ethan brought forward the magic scroll we had found, and handed it to Chris.

"It's a magic scroll, never learned before! We found it in Tchilly Peaks, in an ice cave!" I explained.

Chris unfurled it, the happiest smile on his face. But that smile turned from happiness to confusion to laughter as he read the scroll.

"(Y/N)... who led you to this scroll?"

Immediately I knew something was wrong. But since he was laughing, I guess it wasn't that bad?

"Umm... Faith, the purple Fab Fairy," I said.

"That explains it," Chris chuckled. He handed me the scroll.

I read it out loud for Ethan's sake,

"You guys are so cute! -Your adoring fans"

As soon as I said this, I blushed. So much for the perfect birthday gift...

Suddenly there was a knock on the inn's front door.

I sighed, and took Chris' hand, dragging him outside the inn. The Fab Fairies stood outside the door, holding their phones aloft with mischievous smiles.

"Ah, (Y/N). So delightful of you to join us," Faith purred, "And this must be the Great Sage! He is even more handsome in person." Chris rolled his eyes, showing me he didn't care about what they said.

I scowled.

"Now, what did you want to tell us? Make it quick. I didn't really appreciate how you sent us on a wild goose chase just to get some gossip," I snarled.

"Well, I wanted to fully explain the Gelo Magico to you now. So, it happens when a mage uses a spell on the person they love, and that person gets the frost."

Chris grinned. "Guilty as charged."

"And it can only be stopped by a show of affection from the frost-bitten person."

I blushed.

"But the good thing is, you two can never get it again, because you can only get it once!" Faith practically squealed.

Chris and I exchanged annoyed looks, and Ethan hefted his staff.

"You know what?" I purred, "None of this would have happened if you hadn't been so obsessed with a good story. We could have died! So..."

A light purple spark of electric magic appeared leaping across my right palm, and with lightning speed I raised it to Faith's throat.

"Get out of our lives."

Faith squeaked loudly and exploded in a cloud of purple mist. Her sisters nervously gave goodbyes and exploded in orange and green puffs of mist.

"This was a pretty terrible birthday," I sighed, "I'm sorry, Chris. I didn't want it to be this way."

"Are you kidding?" he chuckled, "This has been the best birthday I've ever had. Not many people get to be woken up with a near-death experience, especially one as dramatic as this."

"I love you," I grinned.

"I love you too," Chris grinned back, and took my hand, "Can we go for a walk?"

"Depends if Ethan is old enough to stay here alone."

"I am!" pleaded Ethan, "You guys go enjoy yourselves!"

Together, we went for a walk in the woods. And Chris was right; it was a pretty good birthday. Even if the gift turned out to be some practical joke.