Chapter 1

I was just a simple traveler when the Dark Lord attacked Greenhorne. With his mottled purple claws, he swiped the peoples' faces with no mercy, sparing few. Among those few was a distressed woman whose child's face had been stolen. Moved with compassion, I decided to help this woman find her son's face. In return, she gave me a special charm that had been in her family for years. With its magic, I gained enough power to defeat the monster displaying the little boy's face on its ugly head. Filled with new purpose, I set out to save all the townspeople, and to stop the Dark Lord! My magical heirloom sent other travelers, eager to help me in my quest. We slashed through the Dark Lord's goons, winning every battle with ease. That is, until the Dark Lord confronted me himself.

The look on the Dark Lord's face was so... evil, I guess- filled with hatred and malice. In fact, that same dirty look was fixed at me, but in a different way. More triumphant, less annoyed.

Back in the present, the Dark Lord hovered outside the inn we were camped at. In his claws he clutched my companions, grinning like a clown at the carnival. A creepy clown at the carnival. I felt the familiar sense of dejavù. This had already happened twice: his claws snatching my companions away to his world. And now it was happening again. I didn't even had time to yell, "Stop!" when he spun and disappeared into a cloud of quickly dissipating purple smoke. My companions were gone.

I call them my companions because the title of "friend" is hard to give out freely. They were merely tactical advantages to me. We weren't close.

My guardian heirloom/charm spoke, saying something about my power, but I wasn't listening. I was trying to think up another plan, one to recover from this and move on. So I readied my magical staff and snuck out of the inn. It gave me some small relief that once I destroyed the Dark Lord, I could go back to my life of wandering Miitopia and not having other people to worry about. It was what I was comfortable with. The whimsical, lush terrain of the Fey quickly morphed into a sweltering volcanic wasteland, complete with lava and rocks. I was in the Dark Lord's domain. I found a tall rock and climbed to the top, surveying the land for any signs of life. If my companions were here, maybe I could save them!

To give myself some more firepower to defeat the Dark Lord, of course.

Not because I was lonely or anything.

I found a small cave with unnatural light coming from within. Maybe some of my friends were camped out there, I thought. So I climbed back down the rock and traveled over to investigate. Years of surviving on my own gave me the ability to hide my emotions. So what I saw within only made me raise my eyebrows. Three of my companions stood in various poses, some whimpering, others resting against the hard rocks. But they all had one thing in common: they had no faces. Well, twerkey. They wouldn't be much use without faces, would they?

"I believe these are your companions, (Y/N)?"

Startled, I muttered, "Invisible" and disappeared. I readied my staff to use more spells if necessary. But it wasn't necessary.

In front of me stood the Great Sage. The young man looked around with an amused expression, lowering a staff of his own.

"An invisible spell, eh? Where did a traveler like you learn a spell like that?"

I reappeared.

"You aren't the only accomplished mage."

He raised his hands in mock surrender.

"Listen, I'm not here to brag. I'm here to help."

Here to help? I seemed to always need his help. The first time he came to my rescue belonged to a story I never finished...