Chapter 9

As we descended into the lush and whimsical forest that was the fairies' homeland, I hoped the sleeping spell lasted long enough for our trip. Because I don't know what Chris would do if he woke up and found that both Ethan and I were gone.

"See ya guys later!" our dragon friend said, and took off once we slid off his scaly back.

"Alright Ethan, this is the Realm of the Fey. The rulers of it are three fairies. The eldest one is Faith, the middle one is Hope, and the youngest is Charity. With any luck, they should be able to find us something cool to get Chris for his birthday."

"Sounds like a plan."

As we walked through the main city of the Realm, I looked up at the sun. It was directly overhead, which meant it was noon. We had approximately 20 hours to get Chris something nice.

"Ah, (Y/N)!"

"Hello, Faith!"

The eldest of the fab fairies, Faith, was dressed in purple. She gave me a motherly smile, and then noticed Ethan.

"And who is this cutie?"

"He's my... little brother." I didn't go around telling people Ethan was the Dark Curse. Go figure.

"He's simply adorable!"

"Thank you," Ethan said shyly.

"So, what brings you here?"

You could see the moment when she noticed the teal frost clinging to my lower arms, just barely peeking out from under the gloves.

"My goodness! What's wrong with your arms?"

"It's not a big deal, but my friend is worried about me because he tried to cast an invisibility spell, but it left this frost somehow. Do you know what this is?"

I yanked off my right glove to show Faith my hand.

Faith took my hand and observed it.

"Ah, just as I thought. What you have is Gelo Magico, a kind of magic frost that will completely freeze you if it gets to your head. But I see your friend used the "Stop" spell on it? Clever. But it won't last, not with this type of spell."

"How did I get it?" I asked.

Faith returned my question with a question. "Who was the caster of the spell?"

"Umm, the Great Sage."

From the look on Faith's face, I realized I made a huge mistake.

"Ooh, the Great Sage? I need to go tell my sisters!"

"Wait, why?"

"You can only get Gelo Magico if someone that loves you casts a spell on you. And this is such great gossip! Thanks (Y/N)!"

"Oh hold on now," I growled and grabbed the eldest Fairy's arm, "It's the Great Sage's birthday tomorrow. And he loves magic, so I was wondering if you know any lost spells?"

To learn a spell, you have to read it from a special scroll, or learn it from someone who has. Some magic scrolls are sold commonly at stores, and others are lost in exotic places or extremely rare to find.

The purple fairy thought for a moment, then responded.

"As a matter of fact, I can tell you where to find one. Legend has it that at the top of Tchilly peak, there is a cave filled with fierce ice monsters. And if you can get past all the monsters, there is a magic scroll. Nobody knows what kind of spell it has on it because nobody has found this cave. But I know you can do it! You defeated the Dark Lord and the Darker Lord!" Faith gushed. Ethan winced.