Chapter 6

Academy Day!

I woke up and sat up on the edge of my bed, "Yes!" And jumped up and opened my curtains, it was academy day! There was a ton I had to do before I left! I got dressed and then made my bed. I went downstairs and ate breakfast, mom and Amber were already down there. Amber hadn't packed yet, she needed to pack for herself and Beach. I went outside and made sure my suitcase and backpack were in the car, I made sure that FreeRein's & Harmony's duffle bags were in the float. I went to the barn and fed them breakfast. While they ate I got there blankets, travel boots, and leg wraps, ready to be put on them. Harmony and Rein finished eating and I led Rein out of his stall and tethered him to his stall gate, I did the same with Harmony. I put Harmony's blanket, travel boots, and leg wraps on her, I did the same with Rein. I saw Amber put her now packed suitcase and backpack in the car, she packed Beach's duffle bag and put it in the float. She fed Beach and got his travel stuff ready, after Beach finished eating Amber started getting him travel ready. I loaded FreeRein into the float, I started loading Harmony but then mom ran out-

"Darling! What about Forest's stuff?" She called,

"Oh no!" I said, I finished loading Harmony and then ran inside. I grabbed Forest's duffle bag and packed up all her stuff. I grabbed her crate and duffle bag up and put the duffle bag in the back with our other stuff, I set up Forest's crate in the back next to the suitcases, backpacks, and Forest's duffle bag. I put Forest in her crate and made sure I had everything. I got in the front seat and got buckled. Amber got in the backseat and mom got in the driver's seat. She drove us to the academy and parked in the parking lot. I got out and so did Amber, mom got out too. A person greeted us and had a guy with a huge luggage trolley for our stuff. He grabbed mine and Amber's suitcase along with our backpacks. The man took Forest's duffle bag out and put it on the trolley, he took Forest's crate with her still in it and put it on the trolley. Next he got the horses' duffle bags, he got FreeRein's, Harmony's, and Beach's duffle bags and put them on the trolley. A woman came up and unloaded the three horses and took them to the barn, the luggage guy took our stuff up to our separate rooms. Mom got back in the car as the head lady came over to take us to our rooms. We went to our rooms and got settled in, we both unpacked and went down for lunch cause the lady called us. Me and Amber sat together. Two girls sat across from us.

"Hi," the older girl said, "this is my little sister Julie. I'm Kristy!" The girl said.

"Hey! Can we be friends?" I asked her.

"Sure! My horse is a Chestnut!" The girl said. Her sister sat with Amber and Kristy sat by me. I told her about my horses, puppy, and that my friend Kelly was supposed to come. Next thing I knew Kelly was sitting on the other side of me.

"Hey Kel!" I said. I introduced them to each other. It was time to do whatever we wanted. We had lessons in the morning and evening. Me, Kelly, & Kristy, got in riding clothes and went down to the barn. I went to FreeRein's stall and stroked his face as it hung out over the stall door. Kel went to Phoenix's stall and did the same. Stroking her face. Me and Kel got stalls next to each other, Kristy was on the other side of me. Kelly liked Kristy and wanted to hang out, so did I. We were the perfect team. Amber and Julie had stalls next to each other too. Kristy stroked her horse's face.

"This is Chestnut. He's amazing. Why is there a mustang separating us? I should ask the lady to fix this." Kristy said.

"No, no. This is my other horse Harmony," I said, geturing to Harmony. "I just got her. Kel has this other horse too-" I started to say.

"This is my second horse," Kelly said. I knew she wanted to say it so I let her. "She is a Palomino, named Pinto!"

"Let's take them on a ride," I said, "I can't ride Harmony because she's pregnant but I can ride FreeRein!" I said. I opened Rein's stall and snapped on a lead to his halter. I led him out to the station, the grooming/tacking station. I grabbed out his crate of grooming supplies and grabbed his long brush. I groomed him with the long brush then combed his main and brushed his tail. I picked his hooves and then grabbed his Western saddle pad and put it on him. Then I put his saddle on and then did the same with his bridle. I put on leg wraps and led him out of the barn. I waited for Kel and Kristy to finish up tacking and grooming. Finally they came out and we mounted at the same time. We took them out to a cool trail. We cantered the horses and jumped them. We had a blast. We all went back to the barn and cooled the horses out. We untacked them and groomed them. We put them away and went back up to our rooms. Our dorm rooms were adjoined so that Kelly's room was on one side and Kristy's was on the other side. We cleaned up and went down to the dining room because it was dinner time. It was good sandwiches with american cheese and salami and the jucky type of mayo. It was delicious and we had white bread! We ate and drank soda and had cake and frosting for dessert. After we finished eating we went back to our dorm rooms for a half hour before our evening lessons started. We changed into proper Western clothes and put my new cowgirl boots on. I braided my hair into a ponytail braid and put my cowgirl hat on. After I was dressed I wanted to reorganize. I made my bed again only with my own comforter set and put my horse stuffed animal on my bed in front of my pillows. I looked into Kelly's and Kristy's rooms and saw they were reorganizing their rooms too. I organized my desk and made sure my clothes were organized perfectly in the closet and drawers. The lady called for all the girls to come down and to the barn. Me, Kelly, Kristy, Amber, and Julie ran down to the barn. A lot of other girls were there too. There were blondies, black haired, brown haired, and orange haired girls. I met a couple of them and there was a girl that was 14 and her name was Jannet with brown hair, Another girl was 15 and was a blondie named Goldie, A black haired girl was named Marry and she was 13, just like me, Kelly, and Kristy. I had three new friends on top of Kristy! I had met four girls already. The lady, now known as Emily Vine, told us to groom and tack up our horses. I raced back upstairs and into my room. I took Forest out and took her down to the barn where a stable hand was waiting for me so he could take Forest for me while I had my lesson. I handed her to him, who was Bradley! He smiled at me and I went to get FreeRein. I groomed him and tacked him up. He was rested and had eaten too. Emily Vine made us mount up as soon as we were in the warm up ring. We warmed up our horses and Emily Vine moved us into a dirt arena.