Chapter 14

The Great Big Sleepover!

All my friends went to my room with their stuff. We wanted to go on a ride in the tree grove but didn't trust Amelia while we were gone. I was going to quit when we rode to her farm. The girls set everything up and we rushed downstairs and outside and over to the horses where we clipped on their leads and groomed them then tack them up. We stretched their legs and mounted then walked them to Amelia's farm and then dismounted and tethered them. I knocked on Amelia's door. She opened it and I had to say,

"I'm so sorry but I quit." Amelia stared at me dumbfounded,

"Why?" She said quickly. If I quit she knew that she had no right to come to my farm and could get in trouble for trespassing. I knew that and I knew she knew that too.

"Because. You're no good and I quit. That's all. Goodbye." I said, turning on my heels and over to the horses. I untied Rein and mounted up. She looked upset and the other girls mounted up too. We rode to the tree grove and back to my farm/house. We dismounted and tethered our horses and  loosened their girths. We went inside where Amber and mom were fixing dinner.

"Hey girls! We're having sandwiches, watermelon, grape juice, and for dessert ice cream cones and caramel!" Mom said, while Amber set out seven plates on the table and put seven cups and everything else on the table neatly. Mom put two sandwiches, each, on the plates and Amber poured grape juice in the cups. I helped put a good amount of watermelon on everyone's plates. We all sat down and talked about horses and I told mom I quit working for Amelia. She stole my horses and if she ever came to our home to see the horses I can charge her for trespassing.

"You what?!" Mom exclaimed. I talked about everything that had happened today and what we wanted to do tomorrow. Tomorrow is a Saturday and we can ride all day! After eating dinner me and my friends ran up to my room where we changed into riding clothes. Mom called us down just then and had us sit on the couch.

"This is mainly for Ruby and Kelly, girls. But this will affect you too. Please nobody get mad." Mom said. I looked at her with questioning eyes and she looked back at me sadly.

"What is it mom? What's wrong??" I said, unhappy.

"Girls. We're moving." She said. My eyes widened.

"Why!" I demanded,

"There is a great job in Utah," Mom said, looking at me sadly, "But this does mean we have to get rid of FreeRein and the rest of them." She said, looking down.

"No! That's out of the question! I don't want to move to Utah, and I certainly don't want to sell FreeRein!" I screamed, bursting into tears. I jumped up and ran to the front door where I opened it and ran outside, slamming the door behind me. I heard someone else come out. I ran to FreeRein's stall and opened it frantically. I ran inside and thrust my arms around his neck, sobbing. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I turned around to see Kelly with her arms open. I fell into them and sobbed. Marry, Goldie, and Jannet appeared just then with Bradley. He took me in his arms and I collapsed into him. I fell to the ground and sat down wrapping his arms around me. I cried even harder.

"I heard. I'm so, so, so sorry." Bradley said.

"I can't leave," I sobbed, "And I can't sell my horses. I just can't!" I said.

"I know.. I know.." He just sat there... Hugging me. I wiped away my tears and stood up. I clipped on FreeRein's lead and led him out to the station. I groomed him and tacked him up. The others looked at me confusedly. I mounted up and then it hit them all.

"No!" Kelly screamed as I kicked FreeRein into a gallop. I galloped him all the way to the beach. Soon Kelly appeared then Bradley and the other three. "Ruby! I know you don't want to move! But there is nothing you can do." I dismounted and ran to the ocean, collapsing in the shallows. I covered my face with my hands and cried. Kel wrapped her arms around me and she cried too. After a couple hours of crying I stood up and mounted again.

"I can't move to Utah, my horses are counting on me." We all rode back home where we put our horses away. I went inside and asked mom what her new job was, she said that she had bought a house near a riding school where she would be riding. I smiled,

"Then we could have my horses and Ambers' pony!" I exclaimed.

"But darling. It's a far drive from Australia to Utah. You can bring either Harmony, FreeRein. We can, however, bring Forest." Mom said.

"Mom. You could own Harmony and I could have FreeRein. You'll need your own horse when you teach so have Harmony! We can keep the foal and loan it out to other riders there!" Mom considered this and nodded, smiling. "When do we have to leave mom?" I asked her. She said I had to be packed tomorrow and tonight and be on our way on Sunday morning at 5:00am, "Guys. I'm gonna miss you. But we all have our own phones," We exchanged numbers including Kelly and Bradley. "Bradley Imma miss ya!" I said in a gulp. I hugged him and turned to Kel, "Why can't you move with me!" I said in a huge sob. Kel gave a small smile and we hugged. Marry, Goldie, and Jannet decided to go home for tonight and Bradley went home too. Kel went home too. Mom, Amber, and I went to our rooms. I grabbed out my big suitcase and put it on my bed where I unzipped it. I packed up all but two pairs of clothes and then in a duffle bag put my books and entertainment stuff. I put my lap and bedding into a box and shut the box and taped it. Then zipped my duffle bag and suitcase. I went outside and packed up all of FreeRein's stuff and put it in the float along with all of Harmony's stuff and the foals' stuff. I moved my packed up things to the car and inside. I went upstairs and fell asleep.