Chapter 19

I sat beside Alec in the car. It was silent and the only sound I could hear was that of the windshield wiper going left and right and the rain hitting the car.

I still couldn't believe that I was sitting in the car with Alec going to the beach at such a late hour. Not to mention in rain. How stupid is that. And yet what was more stupid was the fact that he stood down and called me down and no matter how much I refused I was dragged here in the car.

"I still can't believe we are going to the beach." I muttered.

I could hear him chuckle from beside me. I turned my head to give him a pointed look, "A promise is a promise."

"What are we even going to do in the rain on a beach?"

He looked at me momentarily and passed me a smile, "Just have fun."

He went back to driving. I tried to look outside the window from my side but it was covered in fog and the rain drops were racing down each other.

Bringing my finger I drew a heart on the window and looked at it proudly before it was destroyed by the raindrops.

I looked in the front and noticed how we were away from the city and crowded roads now. There were no car or red lights shining brightly through the rain anymore. Rather it was dark and peaceful. It was more like a highway with nothing but a rock mountain running on one side and just steep on the other.

And as much as I was liking the silence it was a little awkward to not make any conversation.

"Radio?" I asked.

"Sure."

I reached out for the radio but I stopped the second his hand touched mine. Both of us reached out for it at the same time.

I snapped my head up to look at him and found him already looking at me. He retrieved his hands as fast as a receptor informing the brain about touching something hot.

Clearing my throat I pressed the button before sitting comfortably in my seat. I rest my head against the seat and looked out.

'Strawberries and cigarettes" by Troye Sivan came into play as I hummed to the tune.

It was getting colder as the night got deeper and the rain continued pouring down. I closed my eyes listening to the song and the sound of rain hitting the car.

It wasn't even moments later that the car stopped moving making me open my eyes and sit straight in my seat.

"What's wrong?" I asked among the sound of the song as I saw Alec looking troubled.

He hit his hand slightly against the steering wheel before sighing through his nose, "It stopped."

I stared at him dumbfounded, "What do you mean it stopped?"

"I don't know. It suddenly stopped and won't even start." He tried starting again but the engine died as soon as it made sound.

"Now what?"

He looked around before leaning back in his seat and closing his eyes. I turned to sit facing him.

"Let's wait for a few minutes and then try again. Maybe the engine got too heated and just needs some time to cool down."

I nodded my head even though I knew he couldn't see me. I went to sit back myself and laid my head against the seat too. But rather than facing away I watched him.

"Remember when you taught me fate
Said it'd all be worth the wait
Like that night in the back of the cab
When your fingers walked in my hand
Next day, nothin' on my phone
But I can still smell you on my clothes
Always hoping things would change
But we went right back to your games"