Chapter 21

The both of us were sitting facing the sea. I felt the sandy texture beneath my feet as I brought them near my chest. Wrapping my arms around my knees I tilted my head to look at Alec.

I opened my mouth to say something but then closed it.

He had his legs spread in front of him while supporting the top of his body on his arms.

"You wanted to say something?" He asked. His eyes were still glued to the sea.

I cleared my throat before looking ahead. I shook my head, "Nothing."

"Liar." He said before turning his head to look at me, "I can tell when you want to say something... What is it?"

I bit my lip lightly before taking in a deep breath, "That day. When you came to my house and saw the paintings you said that you could tell that I loved my parents." He nodded his head, "Is that all you could read?"

I looked at him intently. He didn't waver and stared right into my soul.

"Was there supposed to be more?" He asked raising one of his eyebrows.

He couldn't tell. He couldn't read me completely after all. And there was no point in continuing the conversation if he couldn't tell.

I was glad but at the same time there was a part of me who wished that he saw it. Without me having to tell it, I wished someone finally knew what could have gone wrong or what has already gone wrong.

"Not at all." I smiled.

He was silent and I could still feel his eyes on me, "You removed the paintings, didn't you?" He asked slowly.

I snapped my head to his. H-How did he know? I took them the next day itself. The paintings which should have been removed way earlier were still on the walls, of course I had to take them down to forget those memories.

"I-" he put his fingers on my lips making me go quiet.

"Just because I didn't say anything doesn't mean I didn't notice it."

I removed his finger from my lips and stared at him, "What do you mean?"

He sighed, "That you are lonely. You crave for those family moments again."

"I am not lonely." I said a little sourly.

"Sure." He replied.

"I am serious!"

"Alright." He gave me a knowing look which clearly said that he didn't believe me.

It was silent for a while.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asked in a soft voice.

"About what?" I was alert.

I kind of anticipated what he meant. But still I asked him to be sure.

"About your family. What happened?" He asked and turned to his side to face me completely.

I gulped a little nervous. It was not something I was comfortable to talk about until now. Him looking at me was not helping either.

"Do I have to?"

He thought for a while before falling flat on his back and putting his hands behind his neck he looked at the dark clear sky, "No, if you don't want to."

I looked at his side profile and noticed the way his nose scrunched up.

Do I want to? Am I ready to tell someone about it? And is that someone Alec?

But I do feel comfortable with him. Enough to make me want to tell him about it. If he could open up to me about his mother I am sure I can talk to him about this.