Chapter 23

"Are you going to be alright?" Liya asked me concerned as I was about to go and talk to Alec about whatever he wanted to talk about.

"Yeah." I nodded my head at her letting her know that it would be alright. Whether this ends or begins, it will be alright.

"Where are you meeting him?" She asked slinging her bag around her shoulders.

"Just behind school, in the open area."

As soon as I said that I could see her making a face, "I don't have pleasant memories from that place."

And from the way she shuddered I could tell it was something related to Xavier and her. I can just look at her tell about that.

"Are you guys talking about me?"

The both of us turned to look at Xavier walking towards us. He had his eyes fixed only on Liya as he came and put his hand behind the small of her back. I cleared my throat and looked around.

"Not everything's about you." I heard Liya say, "Serenity, be sure to meet with me and Evelyn after this. We have to spend some quality time." She said enthusiastically.

I let her know that I would be sure to join them and watched her go away with Xavier complaining, "I thought we were about to spend time together."

"Not today." She said before their voices were mumbled among the other people.

I looked around the parking lot full of people before sighing. I had already told Max and Henry about my plans to meet with Liya and Evelyn so they already went ahead with Brian, their new found best friend, who is as much of a clown as they are.

I walked where Alec would be waiting for me. Sure enough I found him waiting for me. I watched him as he looked around nervously. His back was turned to me as he cracked his knuckles.

"Why did you call me?" I walked towards him, getting his attention. He looked at me with the same troubled eyes like before when we met in the morning. I could still feel my heart aching by the looks of him. By the look he was giving him. I felt like....I was only troubling him?

"I wanted to talk about...it." He said slowly taking a step towards me.

He wants to talk about it. IT. He doesn't even want to say it properly that he wants to talk about my feelings or my confessions or anything dammit. Anything other than 'it'.

I bit the insides of my cheek as I asked him, "What about it?"

He could tell there was sourness in my voice because he let out a deep breath through his mouth.

"Look Serene," he started.

"Serenity." I corrected him.

If he was going to act like a stranger to me. As well as drop the casualness. I could feel his eyes looking at me with a little hurt.

He cleared his throat, "Serenity...I know how you feel."

"You do?" I chuckled mockingly—looking around at the school building.

"I do. Maybe better than anyone?" He said softly.

"Because you've been in love with Liya?" I asked.

"Let's not go there."

I stared at him baffled, "If we are going to talk about my feelings...we have to go there."

He ran his hands through his hair before coming near me and holding me by my shoulders, "Please don't make this hard for me than it already is."

I pursed my lips to stop myself from showing him any kind of hurt on my face but his eyes were boring deep into my soul and for once...his eyes weren't their usual bright blue. No. They weren't sparkly. The eyes which always found their way to shine even in the dark rain. The night under the beach, they were dark now even under the daylight.