Night Drives and Magic Tricks

The drive to the party would've been excruciatingly silent, if it hadn't been for the soft pop-rock music playing on the radio.

        Percy hadn't really spoken since they had left the apartment, only saying small hmms and uh-huhs, here and there. Annabeth had picked up on his reluctancy from the moment she had stepped foot in the car for the second time that night, but hadn't asked him about it. Like she's one to judge, he thought to himself.

        He didn't know what he felt, he wasn't quite angry, or sad, or disappointed. Instead, he was a mixture of all three. He felt like he was back to where he started 3 months ago. Alone and confused. The drive from Annabeth's apartment to the bonfire should've taken them about 5 minutes, had it not been for the traffic. Cars were piled up, one next to the other, in the busy city streets. Annabeth stared out the window, her eyes seemingly fixed on the road. She held both of her hands on her lap, as she nervously tapped her finger on her thigh. Percy saw her from the corner of his eye. His hands held the steering wheel firmly, and he turned down different streets and avenues. Annabeth was the first to break the silence.

"I thought you wanted to talk."

        She didn't look at him, she didn't move. Her voice was monotonous, almost like the words weighted her down. He let out a small scoff and pressed his lips in a thin line.

"There's nothing to say."

        She turned to him now, studying him. He could feel her next to him, the tension between them. It was almost like the temperature in the car had dropped by 10 degrees in a single instant.

"But you said..."

"People say a lot of things Annabeth, it doesn't necessarily mean they have to act on them."

        It was his turn to look at her, there was a silent understanding between them. She scoffed and leaned back into her seat. The cars were beginning to move once again, and Percy turned his eyes to the road. She let out a deep breath. He could feel her beside him, but at the same time she felt distant. Like she was there, but there was a glass wall between them.

"If you didn't want me to come, you could've just said so. I would've been fine staying in a Friday night." She said, avoiding his gaze.
        The road had began to clear up, and he could see the trail of smoke from the bonfire at a distance. They were almost there. He raised her eyebrow at her.

"So you could spend the night with your buddy, Hunter? Give me a little bit more credit." He said, sarcasm lacing through his word.
She let out a fake laugh.

"Is that what this is about? I thought you said you were over that!" She spat angrily.

        Percy began pulling into the driveway of one of the student council's house. Some people were out drinking and talking, and music blared from the speakers. Percy recognized a few of the guys from his swim team. He assumed most people must've been around the back of the house, where the actual bonfire was taking place, but still the place seemed pretty full. The closer Percy got to the house, the more he regretted the idea taking Annabeth with him in the first place. To be honest, he was tired of fighting and he'd much rather had stayed in his house, than having a sparring contest with her. He let out a deep breath.

"I had, but then he texted you and—" He turned to her "—What does he want you to tell me? What does he know that I don't?"

        Percy asked. There was no longer any sarcasm in his voice. He looked at her sternly, trying to get the slightest inkling as to what she was thinking, but her face was expressionless.