05 : Coffees

Why do we fall in love with people we can't have?

I read the quote of the day written on the café's board.

I have stopped by this café - Lia and I's favourite place - before going home. A break was much needed in my life.

So I'm here with my coffee, purring as the warm beverage goes down my throat with every sip.

"Hey!" I identify the voice, a very familiar and sweet one.

My lips automatically curl up in a weak smile after looking up at her. "Hi, Lia."

"Since I know you'll not ask me for a seat, I'll sit here myself," she says and does the same right after.

I roll my eyes, "That was such an unnecessary thing to say." I take another sip from the cup before speaking again. "Why are you here?"

Lia gasps. Exaggerately. What a drama queen. "Do I need a reason to meet my best friend? Are you not happy to see me?"

I can't help but smile uncontrollably. She laughs too, and I can hear this sound for the rest of my life.

But the waiter interrupts while giving her the coffee she must've ordered earlier.

There's a quick exchange of thank you before she puts the straw in her mouth.

I observe everything, from how her lips form a cute pout around the straw to how she has a faint blush because of the cold weather, adding onto her cuteness.

It's taking all the strength in this world for me to not engulf her in my arms.

What?

"I'm really worried about this week's test."

Her words bring me out of my trance. Damn Soobin collect your shit.

I cough awkwardly before replying, "You're worried? I'm excited. I've already done the preparation."

"Of course, Mr. perfect," she forms a face at me to which I just laugh. "Conic Sections might be easy, but Determinants are gonna be the end of me."

"Aah, I was going to revise Determinants tomorrow. You can join me if you want."

Wow, that was a great lie you made here, Soobin.

I don't know why exactly I lied, but I just did- don't question it!

Don't mind me, a small lie to make her spend time with me won't hurt. It really won't, right?

"Sure!" Her eyes lit up. Perfect. "I'll be coming over to your place tomorrow then. Aaaand your mom called me yesterday to say that she misses me, what a great timing."

My mom is talking to her behind my back?! Why did I not notice this blooming friendship.

But I decide to ignore it this time and shift my focus back to the girl sitting across. Needless to say, she has already started blabbering.

I take my time noticing the fluffball slash pompom at the top of her beanie bouncing everytime she moves her head, which makes her look extra adorable.

Gosh I just want to keep her in my pocket.

"Do you know this is Donghyuck's favorite place too!" And I feel my heart drop as soon as the sentence slips out of her pretty lips.

"Woa, that's great." I try to maintain my smile.

But my efforts didn't last long because I hear someone say, "Jisu?"

I don't know why but I have suddenly started despising this voice. And oh, he calls her Jisu already? Since when did they become this close?

"Heyyy Donghyuck!" What I hate more right now is how she's beamed at him with heart eyes.

"Hi," I fake smile, going back to my coffee.

"Come take a seat, Hyuck!"

And there goes my hate meter, racing furiously.

"Eh.. I have to deliver this cake to my uncle," okay, I still might have the chance to be alone with her. "But if you insist.."

No bitch, I don't.

I want to say it out loud, but I somehow manage not to do it.

"Yes yes!" It is Lia, obviously.

"Thanks!" Donghyuck replies, sneakily sitting beside her and completely ignoring someone's presence. Me, to be specific. "How have you been?"

There it goes again, their endless chatter. And I feel awfully left out.

They are engrossed in themselves, Donghyuck only sparing glances at me, to which I just nod and smile.

I fix his eyes on her now. She is visibly flushed by Donghyck. She smiles more than before, even cackled once when he made a lame joke. 

The fact that I am not the only person who can hear her endearing giggle pains me, I just don't know why.

Yet here I am, totally helpless. Heck I am not even sure why am I feeling this way.

What made me more annoyed was Donghyuck effortlessly flirting back and making her redder than a cherry.

I just want to splash my coffee over him at this point— this is such a great idea!

Wait-

No, I shouldn't be doing this. I should be in good terms with my best friend's soon to be boyfriend — only if he accepts her proposal.

Now that I think about it, what if he rejects her? Would I be happy or not? Should I be happy?

"—and Soobin was there too, right binnie?" I hear her voice call my name. Did I really just zone out?

"Ah, haha, yes." I reply, I'm not even sure what they're talking about but I can say they don't really care about my answer right now because they go back to being themselves.

I think I should be happy if they become a thing. They'd be cute together. Everything happens for good. I'll learn to move on — WAIT WHAT?

sorry for the late updateI was in jail

I was in jail