Chapter 21 | A mild Sentence

In the afternoon Edmund is pushed over the middle deck, right through the gathered crew

In the afternoon Edmund is pushed over the middle deck, right through the gathered crew. They howl and cheer, rattling with their sabres and whatever else they found to make noise – Jaro wasn't happy about the raid of his kitchen. After the soup incident, he is still a little cross. This 'court hearing at sea' softens the chef's disposition, and those of the other victims of Ed's pranks. The crew of the Dawn Treader isn't cheering for the King of Old, mind you, they are cheering for what is to follow: a planking – the culprit will be sent on the plank and then shoved into the sea, usually left to drown. In this particular case, the short-term pirates will make an exception, of course, as they can't just let a king die or get stranded somewhere on their watch. However, the sentence for his pranks is spoken and will now be executed. Rynelf pushes Edmund forward towards the railing where the plank awaits. Drinian, Caspian and Lucy are standing there, waiting for him. Luna, Eustace and Reepicheep watch from the side. A lot of the men dressed up as pirates to make the experience as authentic as possible. There are ripped shirts (old ones, of course, that are used as cleaning rags), bandanas and other funny hats, fake hook-hands, and wooden legs, and even a "parrot" – Anaru had the glorious idea to take a chicken on his shoulder. It wouldn't sit still, so he holds it under his arm now. Edmund comes to a stop before stepping up on the plank. He sighs, but in the end, the pranks were worth a short dunk in the ocean.

» Any last words? « Caspian asks, concealing his smirk successfully. A few witty remarks cross the Just King's mind, but he thinks carefully. A glance at Drinian tells him to better be safe than sorry as even the broody captain dressed up. He doesn't really need to change his behaviour to go through as a pirate captain though. Rynelf gives him a light shove, imitating a classic har-har-har-laugh. Edmund shrugs him off, stepping onto the plank. He hesitates, not walking any further out.

» Farewell, « he announces before walking the plank to the very end.

» I'll be on my way to Davy Jones' locker, savvy? « Rynelf follows suit, squaring his shoulders and attempting on an "Arr" in a pirate-y manner. He turns to look at his commander. Drinian gives him a curt nod, sealing the mock-planking. Rynelf grins what causes his eye patch to shift slightly, then he cracks his knuckles and pushes Edmund over the edge. Lucy gasps involuntarily and is the first to lean over the railing. A splash is heard. The rest of the crew howls and hurries to follow her example. At the sight of Ed popping up on the surface, spluttering, everyone laughs and sends a few comments:

» A royal food for the fish today, « Jaro mumbles,

» Yo ho ho! «

» Ahoy there, Jolly Roger, «

» Swashbuckler*! « Pittencream barks and earns a nudge from Elrik,

» Don't ya hang the jib, pegleg. « Pittencream frowns nevertheless and nudges the younger sailor back with his "wooden leg" – which is no more than a cane as both his legs are working perfectly fine. The cane belongs to Fandir who has a limp but doesn't really need help to walk when he's on a ship; on land, however, it's a different story. At one point, Anaru's promoted hen starts to flutter her wings fitfully and the scallion is told to take her back to the coop before the cackling bird goes overboard.