Chapter 39 | (Bitter)Sweet Waves

» Do you see the albatross? « Lucy practically bursts with joy at the sight of the white bird

» Do you see the albatross? « Lucy practically bursts with joy at the sight of the white bird. Wherever it bats its wings, a column of light pierces through the darkness, driving the mist away. The Queen of Old calls for her friends, one by one. Her brother is making his way down from the crow's nest, Eustace and Reepicheep free themselves of the rubble that rained on them while Caspian and Luna still stand back to back, observing the spectacle of light and shadow, dark clouds bursting and columns of mist collapsing into nothing.

Luna closes her eyes, taking a deep breath. The air feels different as the dome of darkness crumbles. She shudders as a light breeze picks up, reminding her of the wet clothes clinging to her form. For a moment, she leans against Caspian, relishing in the little warmth radiating from him. His hand finds hers, just as the Dawn Treader turns to follow the albatross. By instinct, Drinian trusts it to lead the ship out of the darkness – under any other circumstances he would have laughed at the mere suggestions. This, however, feels right.

The six friends meet on the destroyed middle deck, hugging, and checking each other over for injuries. Behind them, the Dark Island vanishes, leaving the vast blue sea as if it were never there.

» Even without the last sword? « Caspian questions no one in particular.

» It's never been about that, I think, « Lucy leans on what is left of the railing. Eustace finishes the explanation for her,

» It's about trust. Aslan expects us to believe in Him. «

~

The crew of the Dawn Treader is ready for this day to end. They are tired, worn out from fearing and fighting. Tomorrow they will need to worry about repairing the ship, today they can enjoy the peace and return to the Star's Island. They set sail as soon as they took the people who were sacrificed by the slavers of the Lone Islands on board. Rhince finally reunites with his wife. The couple hugs tightly, sharing kisses and laughing with joy. In the chaos Luna slips away from Caspian's side as the friends help wherever they can to settle the new passengers in. The distance isn't particularly unwelcome, yet they are both glad to find each other again.

The crew is introduced to the stranger from the Dark Island – Lord Rhoop. With the looming darkness gone, he calms down, ready for proper conversation. He is an aged man, tired from the terror he had to endure. Still, he is delighted to learn of Caspian's identity, immediately pledging his loyalty to him.

~

Soon, they reach the Star's Island where Edmund places the last sword on the Stone Table – just in case. Ramandu and Lilliandil descend from the skies once more, confirming Lucy and Eustace's suspicion that it wasn't really about the seven swords.