Chapter 34 | Light and Fear

After Edmund's realization, a blueish glimmer brightens the darkening sky

After Edmund's realization, a blueish glimmer brightens the darkening sky. The group of the Dawn Treader turn their heads upwards to find two balls of light descending towards them – one a bit smaller than the other. Luna is mesmerized, yet quick-witted enough to tighten the hold on her sword. The two balls stop a few feet above the ground at the head of the table. Their light illuminates the surroundings well enough for Luna to make out some kind of platform behind them, a balcony maybe, that allows a view of the sea. The men's mumbling draws her attention back to the lights that now move within themselves, transforming into two creatures: One is a man with long white hair and a beard just as white and long. These features indicate his old age, yet his knowing eyes possess a youthful glimmer. The other is a woman standing as tall as her companion with hair as golden as the sun. Both are clad in silver robes and the same blueish glow the balls of light were made of.

Caspian has his sword drawn and moves around the table to stand in between Lucy and Luna. The latter glances at him, catching his gaze. They exchange a silent understanding to have each other's backs, something that wouldn't need any more reassurance, actually. Edmund and Reep edge closer as well with the entire group behind them, weapons at the ready. The newcomers, however, don't seem threatening at all. They have the same peaceful aura around them as this island.

» Travellers of Narnia, be welcomed, « the man addresses them,

» I am Ramandu, guardian of this land. « The woman smiles gracefully, taking a step forward,

» Aren't you hungry? There is a place for everyone at Aslan's Table. « The men all took a step back from the table before. Now, Tavros leans forward, grabbing an apple from a bowl to investigate it.

» Wait, « Edmund turns to the glowing woman,

» Who are you? « He is still wary, yet he feels drawn to her. Her beauty is overwhelming, his senses blur. Naturally for this state, his voice is gentle.

» I'm Lilliandil, but you may know me as the blue star, « she speaks melodiously. Raising her hands, the candles on the table light up,

» Now, help yourselves. « She gestures at the table overflowing with food. Still, no one moves.

» What- « Ed clears his throat,

» What happened to them? « He points at the three men at the head of the table. Lilliandil's smile falters.

» These lords were half-mad as they reached our shores, « Ramandu puts his hands behind his back,

» As they threatened violence upon each other here, they were sent to sleep. The oldest laws of this world forbid violence at Aslan's Table. « So, these are three of the four remaining lost lords, leaving one to go.