The Big Day

That night I barely gotten any sleep I was giddy with excitement. I kept thinking tomorrow is the big day, but now today's the day.

I was up early so I prepared breakfast. I tried to act as casual normal as possible and I was doing okay until tired bed head Fredrick showed himself standing in the door frame. My breath was caught, he never failed to make butterflies appear in my stomach. Today when I saw him the amount of nerves and butterflies nearly made me sick.  "Morning Cy, why are you up so early?" Fredrick said walking toward me to give me my morning kiss before sitting at the table.

"I left my curtains open so that when the first drop of light came in I'd wake up so I can make us breakfast before church. Tomorrow I'll wake up extra early and make you a feast... before you leave." Sing the last part aloud faltered my happiness but only a little.

"You don't have to Cy. Tomorrow we're going over to my parents to have one less family meal."

"That sounds perfect how early are we getting up?"

"As early as possible, my father and I should be on the road early morning which leaves only a little bit of time to eat and say goodbyes."

"I wish I didn't have to say goodbye. I wish we could stay here happily farming without the railroad. I wish so many impossible things... I wish you wouldn't go." I said in an almost inaudible whisper.

Fredrick beckoned me over and pulled me down on his lap. He wrapped his arms around me giving me an overwhelming sense of comfort. "I don't want to go either Cy, just think after this we'll never be separated again you'll be happily married woman tending to our kids."

I gave him a deep passionate kiss. I put all my thoughts and emotions into it, I just hope he could realize it. I think he did because he drew me closer and gave me a feather like kiss, almost as if his lips weren't there. Then he muttered "I love you too."

A knock came from the door making me leap out of Fredrick's lap startled. Fredrick open the door hesitantly but once realizing it was his mom he swung the door open enveloping her in a hug. "Hi ma." Fredrick said as he looked over her shoulder.  "Where's father."

"Your father's still at home, he's working on some last minute preparations for the horses."

"Oh ok.  May I ask what brings you here?"

"What a mother can't visit her son... Actually I'm here to make sure you're up, church starts in about 45 minutes."

"You've never dropped by before to wake us up. " Fredrick said suspiciously. Marie gave him a look.

"Ok fine I need to talk with Cynthia real quick."

"Ok." Fredrick said waiting for his mother to speak.

"Alone."

"You're up to something aren't you?" Frederick said retreating into his room.

"Wear your nicest clothes." Marie yelled after him.

I laughed.  "Got any news?"

"Yes everything is ready, the church was specially decorated.  During mass we'll sit together and the boys will that way right after communion we can sneak away to get you dressed and ready. How are you feeling?"

"I just can't believe it I finally get to marry the man I love. The man who's been there my whole life." Marie squeezed my hand tear sparkling in her eyes, she wiped them away quickly.

"Don't make me all mushy yet, I still have to act normal like nothing's happening. You're making it hard. I've always thought of you as part of the family and it just fills me with glee knowing you're Fredrick's bride."