Supper with the Wisely's

Thursday came before I knew it. Mama rushed around making sure that our house was presentable. I helped by going out and picking flowers to put in the vase that would be out in the middle of the table.  When I came back in I handed the flowers to ma and she kissed me on the cheek. Father sat in his usual chair reading the paper as ma scolded him for being lazy. I sensed an argument coming on so I went and hid in my room holding my ear up to the door. They did this often, sure they had some loving moments, but they also had their fair share of fights daily. "Well excuse me for wanting a break I work hard for this family I get up to go to my job, work my ass off to make sure we have food on our table and a roof over ours head unlike some people here. So yes I'm going to sit down after a hard day's work. It's not my job anyway that's a woman's job."

"How dare you. I would get a job if I could but us women don't have the same opportunities you men have.  I have no experience and no full education. I work hard all the time around here. I have to cook all the meals, do the laundry, keep everything clean, tend to the crops and animals while you're gone sometimes, on top of that I take care of Cynthia helping her learn before she goes to school. It would be nice to have some help."

"Why do you think I gave you a child."

Ma pursed her lips taking a deep breath in.  "How dare you. We had that kid because we loved one another and we wanted a family. Now look at us you're barely apart of this family and you barely show affection towards me."

"You said we loved one another what do you mean loved we're still in love."

"Are we Johnathan are we really.  And is that really the only sentence you picked up on."

"Goddamn it Julia. Why do you always do this?"

"Do what..." There was a reluctant knock on the door.

I could here ma's footsteps going towards the door. I came out from my room knowing the fighting would stop. Mother and Father never fought in front of other people they were to concerned about their image. I saw ma quickly wipe back the loose hair framing her face and straighten out her skirt. She opened the door to show the Wisely family pretty of face and kind in heart. Mama invited them in making sure to thank them once again for taking care of me and Fredrick for saving me when I was drowning. "Supper's not quite ready but I'm sure Johnathan is willing to entertain you, maybe show you guys the land, isn't that right John." Mama said giving father a hard stare, he noticed.

"Yes honey I'd be glad to. Mr. Wisely if you'd like to scope out the land." When father walked out with Mr. Wisely I could tell in my mothers face it was like a burden off of her shoulders."

Mrs. Wisely spoke up "Why don't I help you out. Fredrick you can go play with Cynthia."

Fredrick turned towards me giving me a blank stare. I stood uncomfortable unsure of what to do.  I had never hung out with other kids before. He tried to give me a small smile. "Hi Cynthia...um...how have you been?"

"Good."

"That's good... So what do you have to play with."

I grabbed for his hand and he let me take it. I dragged him to my room and showed him my collection of rag dolls. My dollies were the only source of play toys I had unless I went outdoors. "Their my dollies."

"Which one is your favorite?" Fredrick asked

I right away grabbed my favorite ragdoll. I had named it May May, she had big black button eyes from mama's sewing buttons. Instead of hair my mom gave her a mini bonnet and I always assumed her hair was under that. Ma had sewn a nice dress for her and added arms and legs.  She stuffed May May with feathers and gave her to me for Christmas. Since she was my first doll I felt a certain connection with it. Whenever I went on adventures I would take her with me and it showed, dirt was smeared all over and many stains that would at this point never come out. "I see" he said grimacing at the shape it was in. "I'm assuming all the dirt came from you playing outside." I nodded

"I like playing outside too." We stood awkwardly again for what seemed like minutes before he spoke up again. "Would you like to play outside while our ma's finish supper"

"Sure."

Fredrick led me me outside for some fresh air.  We looked around to look for something we could do or play with.  I thought about mentioning tag or blind man's bluff.  I also had marbles inside that were my father's but I don't think he'd mind.  I looked around trying to find a flat dirt surface.  I walked around and the closest thing I could find was mud. An idea struck my head which I know would get me in trouble.  I stuck my hand in the mud and watched the mud bury my hand slowly. When I took it out I could feel the resistance. I walked innocently over to Fredrick who was looking at a couple worms squirming across the grass. He looked so focused, I smiled as I put my hand on his face and tapped him before running my hand down his arm.  "What the.."

He turned around shocked mud now all over the side of his face and his shirt. He looked down at my hands and a mischievous grin came on his face. He went over to where I had just stuck my hand in and he dipped both of his hands in himself he came over to me smiling and took his fingers and wiped them under my eyes and down my cheeks. I laughed sticking my hand back in the mud pit before taking my hand and wiping it across his mouth. He smiled and ran towards me. I squealed trying to dodge his muddy hands. I failed and ended up with more mud on my face and a little in my hair.  We took turns throwing mud at each other, laughing looking silly with mud all over our hands, face and clothes. But it came to an abrupt end "Cynthia Grace Johnson stop it this instant." My father yelled in his now angry booming voice. The smile was now gone from my face and I straightened my back. Mr. Wisely stood looking shocked but not angry, he showed signs of amusement more than anything else.

I heard footsteps coming from the house and I saw both Mama and Mrs. Wisely appear from the door. They saw Fredrick and I and began to laugh. "You think this is funny. Your daughters making a mess." He said raising his voice at mother her laughing stopped "and you he said pointing towards Mrs. Wisely your boy should know better from the looks of it you've raised him to be a rotten trouble maker."

"Now wait a minute Mr. Johnson don't go accusing us of nothing they're kids let them have their fun while they still can. I admit it wasn't our boys smartest move but look at your daughter she has just as much mud on her hands as our boy does." Mr. Wisely said.

Father stood mad unsure of what to say, he puffed up his chest trying to look intimidating and it worked on me.  Tears sprang to my eyes afraid of how he'd punish me for acting out.  Sometimes he'd hit me with a belt as punishment, other times he'd make me stand in a corner. He took a step towards me with a clenched jaw.  "Come here." He hissed. 

Fredrick stepped in front of me protectively.  My ma eased some of the tension. "Why don't we get you two cleaned up and we can all start eating" she said in her best peppy tone.  We all knew it fake and laced with uncomfort.

Just as mother said, Fredrick and I were cleaned up and everyone sat down for supper. It was relatively quiet father still angry, Mr. Wisely afraid to talk in fear he'd anger father even more and mama and Mrs. Wisely just sitting unsure of how to ease the tension. Fredrick and I would occasionally steal glances smiling at the memory of us playing in the mud. This would start the beginning of our long lasting friendship.

************************************************************************

Hope you're enjoying the book and as always

Happy Reading Everyone!!