Planning a new beginning

As we sat down for supper the serious conversations had begun. "How much money do we have now?" I asked.

"I'm not sure Cy we'll have to go to town and check how much we have in the bank, Cy I know you won't like to hear this but there's a big possibility we'll have to start over somewhere new."

"But why, can't we both get a job here. You could do something else in town... like... I guess I have nothing." Fredrick gave a small chuckle.

"Hey who did you talk to earlier in town you said you knew what happened so I assumed you went into town to ask people."

"I asked Mr. Henry he told me he sold his building and land to someone associated with the railroad."

"Yeah he didn't even tell us prior we weren't able to prepare. If I would have known I would have taken off work to fix the crops and get some chickens for the chicken coop to sell the eggs."

"Do you think we still can try to fix the crops and buy chickens?"

"No, I wish, the ground is too dry right now it's been a tough season here for everyone many crops has have already gone. The best I can do is keep my eyes on the crops and buy a couple of chickens. However rumor has it it's going to be a cold and long winter."

"Then is it really important to get out of here?"

"yes I'm afraid so. The sooner we go the better. But until then I'll have to get things prepared, the land sold. I'll also have to go scout for new land and purchase some. Along with that I'll have to be out there building the new house. Not to mention buying the logs for the house. By the time is all done it could be late fall." Fredrick sighed

"Which means we'll be struggling real bad until the winter passes."

"I'm afraid so, we have to decide really soon Cynthia if this is a risk we want to take." He said quietly.

I thought for a moment. "Isn't there any way the building process could take shorter to build maybe someone other than me and you could help build it."

"You're not coming Cy I need you here to take care of the house and livestock."

"No, I have to go with you can't your parents take care of all that stuff while we're gone I know it's a lot to ask but I know them they'll be willing to help out."

"My parents, that's perfect, I could ask my father to help and if he says yes then it's a big no to you coming. I'll need you here with my mother."

"Wait what about his crops though, I forgot about them."

"Sadly his crops didn't make it. They didn't even sprout. He planted just a little too late."

"How are they doing then." I asked with concern.

"They have plenty of money saved up, and my mother continues to sell the eggs the chickens make."

"Do they know about the railroad?"

"I'm not sure the only way people would know is if they were in town recently, posters are spread all around advertising the railroad. I don't know when they've been in town last. When we're finished eating would you like to accompany me over to my their house?"Fredrick asked.

"Yes I'd love to." I pause before asking. "Fredrick do you think they'll try to take land away from the farmers, if the railroad investors decide to expand."

"Most likely, but I'm not sure, I also don't want to be here for the decision though."

"Neither do I." I responded

"Does this mean you are okay with moving." Fredrick asked as he got up to put his plate in the wash bin.

I joined him grabbing both his hands. "Yes..." Fredrick cut me off before I could finish my sentence.