Thoughts & Fire

When I was done with the stew, I looked at the remaining food in disappointment, Fredrick still hadn't make an ice box, that would come when the last leaves of Autumn fell. All I could do now was stare at it in disappointment. It would have to be tossed. I washed the dishes before sitting down in front of the fire. I gladly accepted the warmth it brought me compared to the cool water running from the pump. I undid the braids in my long hair and did my best to finger brush it. I laid down putting all my hair above my head so I could twirl it while lying in front of the fireplace. The heat relaxed my body and the crackling noise soon has me falling asleep.

A noice by the front door caused me to stir slightly. Assuming it was Fredrick I turned my head opening my eyes slightly to see him staring at me. I closed my eyes again ready for sleep to claim me once again. "Cynthia what the hell are you doing, your dress!"

"Huh?" I looked down to see my dress in the fireplace, the bottom was on fire. It must've happened only a short while ago because the fire hadn't moved very far up my skirt. My brain couldn't comprehend what was going on, I knew my skirt was on fire but I just felt groggy, I just sat their watching for a second trying to organize my thoughts.

"Why the hell are you just sitting there?" His voice sounded panicky and it brought me out of my foggy state of mind. He ran quick into his bedroom.

"Crap" I stumbled back taking my skirt out of the fire. I did my best to lean down taking the sides of my skirt trying to smack the part that was on fire but when the fire grazed my wrist I flinched back. "Ow" I could feel the heat touch the skin of my leg and I began to panic. I attempted to stand up hoping to reach the sink.

Before I could even stand up Fredrick rushed over putting a quilt over the fire before patting it until the only thing coming up from my dress was smoke. I took a second to breathe, my breaths were shaky and I could feel my heart pounding in my ears. Fredrick sat back his chest was rapidly rising up and down. I felt myself hyperventilating and tearing up. It felt like I couldn't get enough air in and I was very aware of the pain that started forming on my leg. Fredrick moved over to sit by me and he pulled me back into his arms. "Shh Cynthia it's ok, calm down, take slow deep breaths your going to pass out if you don't control your breathing."

"It hurts" I whispered, I did my best to breathe air in before holding it and letting go. I repeated that until I had calmed down significantly. Fredrick stroked my hair and part of me felt like I could sleep in his arms right now after such a panic but the pain has other plans. "Can you help me to a chair." Fredrick carefully let me go before going to grab a chair.

He grabbed my arm helping me into the chair. The pain was only getting worse as the shock wore off. "Fredrick." He turned towards me. I needed help. "Help me please." I said grabbing for his hand.

"Do you want me to get the doctor?" I shook my head immediately. I didn't want him to waste money."

"Grab water, soap and bandage." I could handle myself from there. He nodded getting up.

I gripped the chair doing my best to distract myself from the pain. I squeezed my eyes so no tears would come out. I opened my eyes when I heard Fredrick setting a pale in front of me.

What I didn't expect was for Fredrick to kneel down in front of me. Without asking he began to untie my shoe. I tried to swat his hand away. "What are you doing? stop that! I can do that myself."

Fredrick grabbed my hands gently, yet firmly at the same time. "First off stop hitting me I'm merely trying to check how bad your burn is." I relaxed a bit. Fredrick noticed and began to untie my left shoe where the fire was. I watched his masculine hands work so elegantly with my laces. Once each lace was untied, he gently tugged on the bottom of my everyday plain heeled boots taking my burnt stocking with it. As he took it off, I could feel the air hitting my now newly exposed skin making my skin shiver slightly.