2. Offered Warmth

Someone was licking his hand.

Gong Jun felt dozed and dizzy. After a while, he opened his eyes as he felt strange and wet on his hand. The sun was already shining brightly at the east sky. It was almost noon and the fire he built last night was already dead. The coldness was still there but fading away. Gong Jun sat up and groaned as his back hurt from staying in an uncomfortable position for several hours. He looked down at his lap and found that the fox was nowhere to see. He started to panic and looked around, finding a certain white fur ball which had fallen asleep in his arms last night.

"Xiao Huli?!"

He yelled and got no response. So, he stood up and picked up his bag and basket quickly. He checked the stream but found no sign of the fox. He paced around the place, checking every stone and bushes as worry ate his mind.

"He needs to rest. If he goes around like this, his wounds will reopen and it will take more time to heal. Besides, his front legs are still in pain. What if he broke them and couldn't walk? What if he kept whimpering and no one is around to help him? What if someone took him and slaughter? He is still young and small. What if.."

His thoughts were killing himself and he felt his heart trembled in fear. His fingers started quivering nonstop from too much emotions. Just as his voice calling for the fox started being hoarse, a white glimpse came into his hazy vision.

Gong Jun blinked the tears he didn't know he was shedding and ran to the fox which walked to him in calm steps. He knelt down immediately and grabbed the small warm body into his arms. He deeply inhaled the scent of mixed lotus and honey and spoke out in a small voice.

"Are you alright?"

His voice was a bit shaking but he barely noticed it.

"How's your wounds? Is it bleeding again? Does it still hurt?"

He pulled away from the fox and checked its whole body to see if any of the cuts reopened. Only after he made sure that the fox was fine, Gong Jun signed in relief.

"Where did you go? I was looking for you everywhere."

The fox tilted its head at him in response, the beautiful-coloured eyes were looking into Gong Jun's eyes just like telling him that he was fine. Then, it flicked its head and walked away from him. Gong Jun quickly tried to catch the fox with his hands so, it could not run away but he missed. After a few steps, the fox looked back at him like telling him to follow. So, he followed the fox.

They walked for like an hour in the valley and during that time, Gong Jun glanced at the fox every few minutes, being anxious that it would collapse from tiredness and pain. He still could not forget how it looked so weak and small last night. Suddenly, the fox stopped and looked up. Gong Jun followed where the fox's eyes went and found a narrow alley leaded to the up which was convenient for humans to climb up from the cliff. There were several shrubs and plants growing on the way and seemed like it had been a long time since people walked through.

Gong Jun was so happy that he picked up the fox immediately and it let out a yelp, being caught on surprise. He laughed at the cute noise and held the fox in his arms, starting to climb up the alley. At first, the fox was struggling protest his hold yet it carefully hid its claws to mean no harm to Gong Jun. But Gong Jun tightly hold the delicate fox against his chest, having no plan to let it go this time. When the fox realized that he wouldn't let him go, it stopped struggling. And it was being still the whole time as Gong Jun made his way back home.

When they finally arrived at Gong Jun's cottage, the sun was already starting to go down. Gong Jun gently put down the small fox on a soft cushion and went straight to the kitchen to find water. Then, he offered the cool, clean water to the fox. Also, he, himself, drank half of the pot. After resting for a while, he started to cook something simple and quick because he was sure that both he and the fox were dying hungry. The quiet fox did not make a sound but watched Gong Jun moving around the house.