3. Audacity

When Gong Jun woke up, he found that the spot beside him was empty. His dozy eyes got widen and he sat up immediately, flipping the blanket to find the little fox. Starting to get anxious, just as he was about to get out of the bedroom, he heard Ma Li's loud neigh and ran to the window opening it. There, he saw the certain fox he was looking for since he had woken up, keenly chasing after the brown bunny which usually came to him every morning.

Zhehan was not a very playful Hulijing (fox spirit). He was already 500 years old which could be regarded as a mature Hulijing in his kind. However, he could not help but chased after this bunny to play with it in his claws. His fangs itched so much whenever he saw little, colourful things which were moving here and there. It was inherent in his gene and he could not control it. This morning, he was sunbathing enjoying the warmth from the sun rays when this bunny came into his sight. It was not afraid of him and even stared at him in a daring way.

So, he got up from laying on the grass in the backyard and started chasing after it. Although bunnies were a kind of animals which were so fast at running, Zhehan could easily catch it in one swift motion if he wanted to. But he was lazy and did not use his powers. Besides, the wound from his belly still hurt although the kind young man treated him very well.

Speaking of the young man, he was still soundly asleep when Zhehan came back to this house at dawn. Zhehan did not know why he decided to come back although he could have stayed at Youming's house which he had lived for the past hundreds of years. He just felt like this place was warmer and more peaceful. Besides, he did not want to trouble his ears anymore witnessing the sounds of Youming's feeding on men.

Just as he was about to catch the daring bunny between his fangs, Zhehan felt that his whole body got raised up in the air and got the familiar warmth. When he looked up, there was the man who was looking down at him.

Gong Jun removed his gaze from the enchanting eyes of the little fox in his arms and focused on the bunny which hopped to his feet.

"Don't bully him. He's still injured."

He lightly scold at the bunny which probably had an invisible question mark on its head. Then, the bunny looked up at the calm fox in his master's arms. It was used to be his place. Humph! The little bunny thumped its back feet out of anger like telling Gong Jun that he was the victim here yet, why Gong Jun was on that cruel fox's side.

Gong Jun knew that the creature in his embrace right now was a fox. And bunnies were foxes' food. And he was chasing after the bunny just a moment ago. But Gong Jun could not help it. He felt overprotective to this fur ball every time he saw something that can threaten him (the fox).  It was weird and Gong Jun knew it. Moreover, the little fox's deep wound on its belly was no good for running around.

"Please give us a moment. I'll come back with your carrot."

Gong Jun told to the angry bunny and went into the house, still holding the fox in his arms. He put him down on the same cushion and checked the wound. Seeing it was healing really fast, Gong Jun gently brushed the fur with his fingers.

"It will be completely healed in the next week and when it does, you can run around as much as you can. Ok? Now, I have a guest. Wait for me."

Zhehan looked at the man who went out to the backyard with a spade in his hand. He always spoke to Zhehan in a gentle, deep voice which was strangely very pleasant to his ears. He was so soft and kind. Zhehan could not help but felt a peaceful bliss in his heart. In his life, the only kindness he had received was form Youming, his adopted brother.

Before he met Youming, Zhehan had to wander around the streets to find food. But he had never gotten his stomach full because as a little weak fox pup, he was no match to stray dogs and beggars at fighting for food. Moreover, there were children who kicked him and throw stones at him just for fun. When he got older, he had to learn how Hulijing fed on humans. Looking at how those men were sunk in lust and immersed in their final pleasure before their hearts got took out and eaten by his kind, Zhehan felt nothing but disgust. He had always believed that humans were vile, despicable and pathetic.