11. Resurrection

The moon was shining brightly in the dark blue sky as if it was greeting to all living things under the horizon. The fragrance of night-blooming jasmine surrounded the compound, attracting the breeze to bring its scent far away. It happened to be a full moon night.

As Gong Jun's condition could be worse in any minute, Daikun didn't delay any further and started the process at that night after getting permission from the elders. There were other four physicians from the pack to help him. Gong Jun's pale but smiling face with a nod in reassurance was the last thing Zhehan saw before getting dragged outside the room by Youming.

Although Zhehan did argue with the betas that he wanted to stay beside his lover during the process, both Daikun and Youming denied. Therefore, he couldn't do anything but paced in front of the room in anxiety.

Not long after, screams echoed through the chamber to all over the compound. Birds which were preparing to sleep flied away in fear. Zhehan flinched and was about to storm into the room when he was contained by Youming's arms. Zhehan struggled to get out of the hold but couldn't succeed. May be because his tears were already falling and the ache in his chest was almost unbearable. He whimpered uncontrollably as Gong Jun's screams got louder and louder.

"He's in pain." Zhehan choked out. "Let me see him."

"Don't be foolish!" Youming almost yelled.

"I must see him, Ge. Please."

"You know that the process couldn't be interrupted. Do you think you could hold back when you see his state?" Youming strictly warned.

Zhehan was about to beg when his lover's screams emerged again. Every time, they got louder and intense, mixed with cries and sobs. Gong Jun's voice was already hoarse to death as if someone was slicing his flesh alive slowly but deadly. Zhehan's heart couldn't ache more.

Yelps became fainter as the sky lessened the color of dark blue. It took complete seven hours until the faint cries stopped coming out of the room. Zhehan was sitting helplessly on the ground with red eyes while Youming supported his limp body. It was almost dawn.

When the door of the room finally opened, Zhehan stood up but instantly almost collapsed because of the stung muscles in his knees. Luckily, he managed to stand properly before Youming's hands could help. The brothers went to Daikun who was standing with an absolute exhausted face at the door.

Before they could make any question, Daikun averted his gaze and stood beside to make a way for Zhehan. Zhehan didn't look at him. Instead, he walked into the room and greeted by a sight which could tear him alive. There lay Gong Jun on the bed, still and quiet. Blood were all over his body, soaking the sheets in crimson red. To Zhehan's fear, any heartbeat from his lover couldn't be heard. Zhehan went near his beloved lying in blood in lifeless steps before sitting beside him.

"Junjun"

He called his name but got no reply. Sighs from the other men in the room were the only sound that emerged.

"Junjun, I'm here."

Zhehan's red eyes were wet but no tear fell down on his pale cheeks. Zhehan removed a strand of hair soaked in cold sweat from Gong Jun's forehead. He didn't dare to breathe in fear of frightening his Junjun. Words were stuck in his throat as he watched the long eyelashes he used to kiss were closed peacefully, wet with tears. After a moment, Zhehan whispered.

"Your Hanhan is here."

No response. No breathing. No heartbeat. None. Everything was terribly silent.

"He's a very brave man." Daikun sighed. "He tolerated all the sting and pain until the final round. We were so happy because it was the twelfth meridian, the final one. And after that, the process would be completed. But..."