Chapter 7 - The First Falls.

Surviving School - Book 1 of the Spoken Dead Series.

Chapter 7 - The First Falls.

The survivors were trapped against the walls. Betty pulled out a frying pan she had discretely hidden under the blue checkered apron. The trio advanced, the plumb women slashing her knife around, she managed to slice Alice's forearm. This made Leigh stand protectively in front of her.

"Alice, grab Callum and Joe. Then run." Leigh said not taking her eyes off the three middle-aged women in front of her. Alice quickly reacted by running past Leigh, and she grabbed Callum and Joe by their wrists and dragging them along to the corner of the lunch hall. Throughout this Callum was swearing and looking back towards the remaining 5 of the survivors.

"Mary, want me to take care of the weaklings?" Betty said to the fattest of the group.

"Na' they're easy pickings, let's take care of these children first. This goth bitch is mine." She sneered at Leigh. "My lunches aren't good enough for you, eh? We'll see about that." She finished with a laugh, before taking a step towards Leigh, who swiftly ran past her into the middle of the dining hall.

"If you want me, come and get me." Leigh's voice was filled with courage.

"With pleasure, my dear, with pleasure." Mary hissed. Mary shifted her large body toward the black haired girl with a thump.

"You two-" the tallest said gesturing to the oldest of the survivors. "- are mine, you'll make fine lunches for our awaiting customer's." Luke stood in front of Lucy, turning on his grind saw.

"Sure you wanna' do that, grandma'?" Luke tauted.

"Yes, i'm sure."

Alex, Claire the emo-boy were the only one's left and they had to take on the smallest and weakest of the group.

Betty clutched her pan tighter, baring her teeth.

"Some one needs to help Leigh!" Alex exclaimed.

"I'll go. Claire do as Alex tell you." The long-haired teen instructed. He dashed past the old women, who didn't even get he chance to swing at him. Leigh was dodging almost every swipe, until Mary cut the top of her leg, cutting through Leigh's skirt and tight's. Leigh let out a gasp and put her free hand on the leg to reduce the bleeding, this left her vunerable. She was quickly pushed down by Mary, and lost grip of her drill. Mary stood over her, the knife by her side.

"Well, little girl, how will you feel being lunch? You never seemed interested before." She snarled raising her knife. Leigh began shuffling backwards.

"Firstly, I'm a vegetarian and secondly I have OCD, and I will not eat anything that i haven't made myself. Understand?" Leigh said through gritted teeth. Mary seemed shocked by her outburst, nut still had the knife raised threateningly.

"Not an excuse, my dear."

"You are freakin' insane. No not even insane. Your psychotic, a sociopath." Leigh search desperately behind her to try and find her weapon.

"Well, your times up." Mary raised the knife again, there was a drilling sound behind her, and Leigh saw something burst through Mary's stomach, that made blood splatter all over Leigh. Mary looked down, and the metal rod was withdrawn fro her stomach. This caused her to tumble and fall face first onto of Leigh.

"Aw, shit!Get her off me!" She pushed the vacant body over her and stood up slowly. When the raised her head she met the deep-brown eyes of 'Newbie'.

"Thanks, Newbie. I owe you one." Her breathing was heavy.

"It's okay and you should know my names Br-" He was cut off by screaming coming from Claire.

Alex was stood there swinging her drill wildly around and was shouting something along the line's of, "I can't see, I'm blind. God dammit, I can't see." This drill almost his Claire a few times that's why she was screaming.

"We have to help, Come on." Leigh grabbed her drill out of 'Newbie's' hand and ran behind Betty. Leigh stabbed the drill into Betty's neck, just before she knocked Alex out. Blood came pouring out of her throat as she screamed and fell to the floor. With one final yelp, she died.

Alex was still flailing his arms around. "Baby, Alex. Are you okay? It's Leigh. Now just stop throwing you arms around and focus." He stopped and just looked into space. They was a slight glaze over his eyes. "Now, just keep calm, and blink a few time. I'll be back in a second."

Leigh snatched up her weapon and grabbed the emo-boys hand and dashed over the the two oldest survivors. Luke was fighting off the tallest women, and he managed to cut off her hand. Then she began cussing and screeching she back off of a moment. Luke and Lucy sighed heavily.

"Betty, Mary where are you?" She bellowed holding her stub to her chest. She look around frantically and saw the the corpses lying on the ground. "You'll pay. You all will." She continued backing off. However, she had reached the corner where the three other survivors were, that when she did something truly horrifying. She snatched out still holding her knife and grabbed Joe by his collar.

"Auntie Chrisse?" Joe questioned timidly.

"Yes, child it's me. Now I have you, we can finish these bastards off." Then she wrapped her arm without a hand around his chest and arms trapping him, he let out a shaky breath.

"Let him go." Leigh said cautiously.

"No, now this will hurt you." She dragged through the door leading out of the dining hall. There was a few screams and yells.

"NO!" The emo-boy yelled, but it was too late. She had dragged him outside into a crowd of zombies. "He could still be alive!" He grabbed Leigh's wrist and began pulling her towards the door.

Then Luke stepped out in front of them and said "No. It's took dangerous." He took a firm stance in front of them.

"What? Your joking right?" Callum spoke up, stepping forward.

"Guys, he's right."  Claire said in a soft voice. Then Leigh snapped.

"Don't you dare!" Although she had her back to Claire, she could imagine the look on her face.

"Leigh, calm down. Your hurt." Alex's voice was calm and reserved as he came running up to them. Leigh turned and looked at him. "Yeah, I can see again. I think I got blood in my eye. Look I can see the blood running down your leg, Let Lucy take care of it." He finished.

"Not here." She responed with a sofe smile.

"Yeah, they're will be a first aid kit in the kitchen so I can stock up."

"Now let's move." Luke signed.

Leigh couldn't help wonder why Claire had been so sympathetic.

 Whats was she hiding?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I edited this chapter, i though the whole killing Joe in front of them was a bit too gruesome so I changed it. Thank's for reading x