As Stupid as I can

"I know he is a bad guy. I am his favorite because I have given him 40% shares in my own company...", Jasper said. "Can you believe it? Because I know if I don't. He may take the whole company anyway, because he plays dirty. But I am a simple person. I don't want to play like that. Many people have gone against Dalgliesh. Only a few have survived. One of them is your brother, and I really appreciate him. He is an idol to me."

"I was really shocked to hear that Mr. Ambrose's sister is marrying him," He continued, "but now I know why. Dalgliesh knows that Ambrose has gone to America. He knows that if you tell him, he still won't be able to reach in time... and you are the only way he can control Ambrose."

I exhaled deeply, he was indeed right. And a simple businessman too.

"Did I make the atmosphere tense?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Indeed!", I blew back coldly.

"As you have accepted your fate and all that shit I-"

"Language Adrien, you shouldn't talk like that in front of a Lady!", I said sarcastically.

"Oh my apologies dear," He bowed deeply. I think he failed to notice my sarcasm. "So, I was saying that, if the wedding is going to happen... let's make it better."

"May I know your thoughts regarding a better wedding?", I asked sharply.

"Why not? I was referring to decorations, a beautiful bridal dress, and lot's of shopping!" He
said back cheerfully.

"Are you sure you are a businessman? No offense, but I haven't seen any man talking about dresses and decorations..." I said.

He laughed silently. "Just guessed it could make you feel better."

"Nice try." I snorted. "Then, let's head to the tailor. But before that, I have to change this gown which your brother complimented on."

I said, realising I still haven't changed the dress, because I didn't get the time to. I stood up, without waiting for his reaction, and headed straight towards my room.

~~~~~~~~~

I changed into a sea coloured dress that matched my eyes and tied my hair in a ponytail.

I was just about to go to Mother to ask her if I could go shopping, when I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in," I said, looking for a set of matching bangles.

"Lady Adaira, there's a letter for you.", Rose said, and I suddenly looked up in surprise.

Did Lilly reply so soon?

Can this letter give me an idea of how I can prevent this marriage?

Pushing my body up from the chair I snatched the letter away, "Thanks Rose, now you can leave."

I was about to dance in happiness, but the letter wasn't from Lilly,
The name of the sender made me jump at double speed... Captain James Carter.

Dear Lady Adaira,

Hope you are all well, I am writing this letter to let you know that I have reached France. And this mission is full of bullsh- madness, it is nothing like an emergency... I, the Major (I know everyone calls me Captain, 'cause I am famous in that, and I really liked to be called Captain by you, so please don't change that, but a major is still major) is here to guard an army base, as they said there is something very important.

I really can't believe they asked me to come because of this, but they said that I am trustworthy, which is definitely true.

So, tell me, are you still practicing horse riding? When I come back, I will take a test. Okay?

Anyways, I am just waiting for your answer to my confession. I am sorry if I did something wrong. It was really gross of me to do things like that, my apologies, but still... I will do whatever I can do for you, I will never let the charming smile on your face drop.

We will be the happiest and most understanding couple... and I will never leave your side.

Hope I get your answer quickly...
I love you so much,
Your James Carter.

I fell for someone for the first time in my life... and now...

I was speechless... How can he say this so easily? How can he do this now, when my wedding is just four days away.

Breathing heavily, I started thinking of how to answer this letter. I read it once more.

That's when it hit me! Dalgliesh came at the same time Captain left.

He knew that Captain was leaving. He certainly has a connection in the army... so maybe...maybe he announced the emergency... so that Captain will leave!!

Anger rose inside me... this was his plan! From the start... His voice echoed in my ears...when he first saw Captain and me together...

"You stay away from her, she's mine."

I am sure he did some research on Captain. But I will not let him go.
Shutting the door behind me, I marched straight to Dalgliesh's room.

Without a warning, I kicked the door open, and saw a wide-eyed Dalgliesh, eating biscuits with tea.

"So it was you!! How dare you?! It was your plan from the start... I should have known!!", I blurted out.

"What are you talking about dear?" He asked me politely, still sipping his tea.

Someone, please add a little poison to it!!

"You sent Captain to France, didn't you?" I asked him. He looked as if caught off guard, but that expression vanished and went back to a 'normal' fake smile.

"So what?", he asked casually. "Yes, I did that... What can you do? Nothing. Think about it... That captain can't give you anything but pain, worries... He can do nothing but leave you and go for a war. And I, I can give you all the luxuries of the world... I can't even be compared to him... And yet... yet you choose him?!"

"That may be the case because he has something you don't...", I spat back.

"And that something is...", he said, signaling me to continue and answer.

I was so angry that I wanted to shoot some balls!!

But, I suppressed the urge, and
replied, "A heart, a heart to care about others, a nature to make everyone smile, he is a man who is fair, who is right... and never does anything wrong.". I said calmly. "And you!! You are a man who plays dirty, who does wrong things... You have destroyed hundreds... and that's why... you can't be compared with him."

He was taken aback. He leaned back in his chair. He looked different now... the emotions on
his face were the ones I never ever imagined I could see on this face...
"If... i-if that's why you chose him over me...". He said in a broken voice. "I really really want you... if my work...I will stop that work-"

No no no no, Dalgliesh can't say this!! He can't stop his work, it was the work from which he got so much power.

He is letting it go because of me??

Come on, it's fake. I bet.

"-I would do anything for you..." he continued. After a second of silence, during which I was confused as hell, he smirked.

"Do you expect me to say this shit?" He stood up in anger... "I will not!! It's my power, and by marrying you I will be double wealthy."

I told you babe! I won the bet.

Shut up for a second, please.

"I didn't expect that at all... because, I know what your level is.", I said, turning on my heels, I was just about to leave when he snatched the letter from me.

God! Was that letter in my hands the whole time?

"Ah, a love letter." He said, while putting it in his cupboard and locking it.

"What the hell?!", I said, trying to snatch the keys. "Give that back! I haven't replied yet."

"Do you want me to show this letter to your father?", He said emotionlessly.

All colour drained from my face.

Come on! Why does it matter?

"Listen, give it to me, now!!", I growled, still trying to open the cupboard.

"I am not your servant... Now, my dear brother told me that you are going shopping..." He said in an unfriendly manner. "He doesn't like to wait, so you should leave."

Told you, he is with him, you can't trust him. After hearing Dalgliesh's words, I agreed with my subconscious self, and left.

I am stupid! Stupid, stupid, stupid!!

I shouldn't have gone there in the first place! I should have left the letter in my room...

I should have remembered the address... How will I send a reply without it?!

-------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, how was the chapter?

Do share your thoughts.

Suggestions are always welcome.