XIII: Playing the Part

Virtue has a veil, vice a mask. - Victor Hugo

~()~

Bird slowly rose to her feet and stood next to where she'd been seated next to Jim; who since realizing she might not be in the clear had remained by her side.

Oswald's body was tense and his heart still beating wildly in his chest, seeing as how he'd just came out on top of a life and death situation he should have been feeling that second chance at life high, but not this time. Maybe he was just too sore from the beating Maroni had given him or possibly it was because everything in his world had just changed and for the time being –he wasn't sure if the change was for better or worse.

After what felt like an eternity of Don Maroni holding him tightly against his side as he bragged to all of his men about their new weapon against Falcone, the Don finally released his uncomfortably tight hold on Oswald and he stumbled a few steps back, looking over to where Jim and Bird were both standing, he silently mouthed 'thank you' to the pair who'd just saved his life.

Instead of being met by equally relieved expressions, he could see the color had drained from their faces. Jim returned the gratitude with a small, curt nod and Bird's eyes seemed vacant of all emotion as she looked at him –though it felt more like she was staring right through him.

Looking at Jim, Maroni said, "Just so we understand each other... keep all of this hush-hush, between us pals. If I need you again I'll call you."

"You do that." Jim stated in a flat voice.

Motioning to Frankie Carbone, Don Maroni said, "Give him a lift back to the station."

"I'm not leaving without her." Jim argued, nodding to where Bird stood beside him.

"Always the hero." Bird commented with a half-smile before shaking her head and saying, "You should probably go, before he changes his mind."

"What's the matter, Jim?" Maroni asked, with a smile. Still nothing short of ecstatic over the way the day had turned out, "I said if your stories matched with Penguins, everything would be good. Don't think I'm a man of my word?"

"I think you've probably got some doubts on where my loyalty lies. I did just admit to you that I chose Falcone's Crime Family over my own family when it came to going along with the conspiracy to frame someone for my parent's murders." Bird spoke up, glancing over at Oswald as she spoke to let him know the dire situation his attempt to save his own life had put her in.

Thought it didn't seem possible, she could have sworn his face suddenly looked paler than normal, making the crimson stains on his skin appear much darker than they did just moments before.

"You've caught me." Maroni commented with a laugh, "I have been trying to figure out your next move; if I let you leave here."

"She's not going to say anything!" Oswald practically squeaked out, hobbling back up to Maroni's side. The hair in his face swept in front of his eyes when he quickly looked between Maroni and Bird, any relief he'd been currently feeling was long since passed and replaced with the fear that he'd just gotten Bird killed. "She's known this whole time and hasn't told anyone; not a soul."

"Yeah, but the game's changed now, hasn't it?" Frankie commented. To be honest he didn't care whether the girl died or not, but he really didn't like Oswald already and it was entertaining to see him squirming in his skin all over again.

"Yes it has Frankie." Maroni agreed, keeping his eyes on Bird as he spoke to Oswald, "Before she was just keeping a secret for the sake of a friend, but now it's bigger than that. Now it's her keeping the knowledge that I've got a weapon against the crime boss she's proven herself loyal to."