XVI: Taken

"There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me." ― Jane Austen

~()~

"I'm Lacey White, and this is Gotham 7 Goat Watch. Tonight, Gotham's wealthiest one percent rest fitfully under a copycat killer's deadly shadow. And if you happen to be one the city's high-society silver spoons, then you're probably headed to the Swiss Alps right now and away from the dark shadow The Goat has cast over the city."

Bird heard the news report on the TV as she neared her father's office in Wayne Manor. It had been a couple days ago that she'd woken up to news that Amanda Hasting's body had been found and news of The Goat being resurrected started to spread throughout the city. Being adopted into wealth and not by birthright, Bird hadn't been too worried about any of it, but it was still unsettling –especially because she'd been classmates with Amanda.

Bruce looked away from the television screen as Alfred used the remote to lower the volume to where the reporter's voice was just barely audible.

"They've got them all running like rabbits." Bruce commented, looking back down to the papers spread out in front of him on the desk.

"Because it's creepy." Bird said, announcing her presence in the house as she walked into the room and gave both Bruce and Alfred a smile.

"Creepy?" Bruce asked, looking up to his sister.

"Yeah, you're too young to remember the last time this happened. I think you were only like two maybe three years old." Bird recalled, "I watched this hour long news special over the goat killer and his victims and I had nightmares for like a month straight. Mom and dad wouldn't let me watch the news after that."

"I don't know why he chose an ungulate for his totem, but he does know how to scare them, though." Bruce added.

"Yeah." Alfred nodded, fiddling the remote in his hand as he paused before asking, "You do realize you happen to be one of 'them', don't you, Master Bruce? Firstborn son of Gotham's rich and powerful." Looking between the Wayne siblings he suggested, "I don't know, maybe you should both leave town for a little bit? Perhaps down to the lake house. You both like it there, don't you?"

"I'm not going anywhere." Bird laughed, "I'm not a Wayne by blood. The goat only takes firstborns."

She looked over to her brother as she spoke and he stubbornly shook his head, "I can't imagine him coming after me, I'm the youngest." Plucking a page up from the desk he turned around to pin it up on the board as he added, "Besides, why would the goat take me? There's no one to take me from."

Alfred and Bird exchanged looks, and he let out a sigh as he stood up and said, "Well Master Bruce, we'd best head out while the day is still young."

"Alfred, it's morning." Bruce argued, not looking back to them when he continued, "And I have work to do."'

"Where are you going?" Bird questioned.

"Shopping." Alfred stated as he stood up and removed the apron he'd been wearing for breakfast's preparation, "Young Master Bruce, here, got the wild idea in his head that it would be appropriate to toss out all of his school uniforms and nearly all of his school supplies."

Turning around, Bruce let out a heavy sigh at the idea of being expected to return to school soon. He didn't really have any friends there and truthfully most of the boys in his grade were mean to him.

"Time to go back to school, huh?" She guessed with an empathetic expression on her face. She'd attended the very school he went to and she could understand why he wouldn't want to go back.